Colchester roundhead colour?

Can anybody help me with what should be the correct colour(s) for a Colchester Triumph Roundhead?

I'd like to tidy up my latest purchase, as the current random grey complete with runs and patchy coverage isn't great. An initial clean would indicate some bits do have green under the random grey, while others just seem to of always been grey.

A bit googling turned up

, which lists Colchester Lathe Green, Dove (light) Grey, and Raven (dark grey), but I'm not sure any of those match what's currently on the lathe.

Thanks Moray

Reply to
moray

Shitty grey.

John S.

Reply to
John S

I thought they didn't have colour when the roundhead Colcheters came out. Weren't they all black & white?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hi, in a previous life many years ago we took delivery of nine of these things, new. To get the best price the colour wasn=92t stipulated; when they turned up seven were light grey, two green and none dark grey. Within a day after they had been bolted to the floor they were =93lovingly=94 painted bright blue to match the other machines by some very enthusiastic apprentices. They job only took an hour or so of the morning (Wednesday was sports afternoon) and very cheap on paint brushes as I think they used sticks. So I guess it could have been any of those three colours really, in all honesty the colour wasn=92t an issue as long as the thing worked, and worked and worked and=85=85. At other training shops I seem to remember the older machines being green and the newer ones various shades of grey with that patina of hardened oil streaks and grungy suds. I remember the nine being removed as well, placed fully exposed in an open yard until the day of the auction so they could get the =93best price=94 for them. Red/Brown ones don=92t fetch much.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom1_uk

Hi, in a previous life many years ago we took delivery of nine of these things, new. To get the best price the colour wasn?t stipulated; when they turned up seven were light grey, two green and none dark grey. Within a day after they had been bolted to the floor they were ?lovingly? painted bright blue to match the other machines by some very enthusiastic apprentices. They job only took an hour or so of the morning (Wednesday was sports afternoon) and very cheap on paint brushes as I think they used sticks. So I guess it could have been any of those three colours really, in all honesty the colour wasn?t an issue as long as the thing worked, and worked and worked and??. At other training shops I seem to remember the older machines being green and the newer ones various shades of grey with that patina of hardened oil streaks and grungy suds. I remember the nine being removed as well, placed fully exposed in an open yard until the day of the auction so they could get the ?best price? for them. Red/Brown ones don?t fetch much.

Regards

Keith

That story reminds me of the one I heard when being shown round the BBC transmitter at Brookman's Park many years ago. It had, perhaps till has, a large diesel generator for emergency power. When the contract was being placed for the engine it boiled down to two bidders. When asked what colour it would be one asnwered "Our standard grey". The other answer "What colour would you like?" No guesses as to who got the contract!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon