an alternative use for allan keys

Bought a hundred Allen keys. All the same size today at a car boot sale. (A quid for the lot) Have made some great centre punches etc out of them. Very handy for depressing nail heads into wood for covering with filler amongst other jobs What have you adapted for uses other than what the tool was designed for?

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Here are some obvious ones...

Screwdriver as a lever. Screwdriver as paint stirrer. Hammer as a screwdriver. Allen keys that just happen to fit torx screws Pliers as a hammer Screwdriver as a nail punch engineering files as nail files (finger nails...) I have even heard of someone using a pedestal grinder as a nail file. Spirit level across jaws on a 3 jaw chuck to enable filing six sides on a bar. Scouring pad as scotchbrite. (Isn't it the same stuff anyway???) Drilling machine as a branding stamper (hot iron brand of wood) Engine hoist to lift my miller onto a bench. Hammer and center punch as a screwdriver (to get screws out where heads have become knackered)

This sort of question will have a never ending list of answers.

Best regards, Dave.

- Portal Franchises available

Reply to
Dave

Well with a bit of filing you could make yourself a set (of smaller sizes)...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Small scribers and chisels both for small metal work and for model furniture.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Not if they are decent ones - use a grinder or a series of oil stones.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

If they are 3mm ones I'll buy them off you.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Reply to