an alternative use for allan keys

Bought a hundred Allen keys. All the same size today at a car boot sale. (A quid for the lot) Have made some great centre punches etc out of them. Very handy for depressing nail heads into wood for covering with filler amongst other jobs What have you adapted for uses other than what the tool was designed for?

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

The Volvo shed the edge of an exhaust valve. The mortal remains were ground up into a neat little pin punch.

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Files mainly. Lovely steel for forging into almost anything.

Bought some M2 HSS hacksaw blades once (£3 from Tilgear - some funny size about

18" long). Never managed to make anything useful from them though, M2 is just unworkable by mortal man.

These days I mainly use Landie leaf springs for big stuff. Log-riving froes will be the next big batch of tool forging.

PS Kim - I have a 45kg ex-RAF BCF fire extinguisher in the car (sadly empty). When I can afford the ceramic lagging, it's turning into a gas sword forge.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

empty). When I can afford the ceramic lagging,

You can be my friend ! ;o))

Hacksaw blades make good scrapers - and chasing chisels too if you don't hit them too hard.

EN45 & EN45a has been the standard for edged weapon combat in UK re-enactment for over twenty years. No-one realises it now, of course, but it was largely my doing as I used to make LOADS of the things & Stones Springs supplied the steel & heat treated the swords for me. Eventually, the fact that they neither knocked, bent or shattered got noticed and others followed suit.

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

about 18" long). Never managed to make

froes will be the next big batch of tool forging.

empty). When I can afford the ceramic lagging,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Would this steel make a suitable tommy bar for a big socket, required to torque up to 800Nm?

AJH

Reply to
sylva