Anyone know where I can buy free cutting mild steel?

Anyone have a good online source for free cutting mild steel (in the
UK)?
I'm also interested in general in recommendations on where to get
stock. I normally end up on eBay or buying from RS, but does anyone
have any good recommendations for other online shops to use, or real
bricks and mortar places in the vicinity of Harlow?
Thanks,
John
Reply to
John Palombo
We have a metal supermarket franchise locally in Southampton which is useful for small quantities. Might be one near you? Mail order steel starts costing real postage even for modest quantities. Have you looked at EYP for local steel stockholders?
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin
Hi Here's a tip - the next time you go to a 'metal supermarkets' franchise. Take a small magnet! Last time I went and had a jolly good rummage around their 'mild steel' offcuts, one of the things I came away with a bar of hex 25mm a/ f around a metre long. It turned out to be stainless steel (non- magnetic), I never realised until I had broken about three drills in the stuff. Anyway, the remainder has now gone into 'stock' - so I saved myself quite a few =A3 - assuming that I actually have a need for SS that size sometime in the future!
They are pretty competitive on price, especially if you can use offcuts rather than cut-to-length. If local, you obviously save a huge amount on postage costs from usual suppliers.
Mike
Reply to
MikeH_QB
You can go to Macreadys or ParkerSteel for a wide selection of materials. Neither is that close to Harlow, but both will deliver. Links here:

Peter
Reply to
Peter Neill
In message , John Palombo writes
For small quantities my first choice is always 'Mallard Metals' followed by 'College Engineering'. Usual disclaimer - both can be found by Google search.
Reply to
Mike H
I've had good service from Mallard Metals and also from EKP supplies for small quantities. EKP is often cheaper but Mallard has a wider range. Worth shopping around - prices can vary hugely on small amounts of metal - as can P&P charges,
Usual disclaimer
Reply to
Norman Billingham
Parkside steel in Brimsdown, Enfield. Bob
Reply to
Emimec
Correction: Parkside Steel, Enfield Lock, Enfield.
Reply to
Emimec
I think it's a bit of a myth this free cutting mild steel, I've always had to pay for it and it's never particularly mild either.
John at
is very patient and helpful though
Steve
Reply to
Steve
Its not very good at cutting either...
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Smiths in Chelmsford. I only buy Ali and brass from them so I don't the price but I buy that at £5/Kg so might be worth a look and they are local. Cheers Rich
Reply to
Richard Bradshaw