Ascot anyone ?

Did anyone go today ? Good? bad ? anything worth seeing ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

Well either no one went, they all liked it so much they are staying overnight at the 200 quid a night Royal Ascot hotel or the M25 monster has munched them up

Reply to
John S

I went, but as it is not far from where I live it was just about worth going.

The weather was good so the railway track was busy with several interesting models.

The exhibits in the hall were a bit thin on the ground, less than last year, and there weren't many trade stands. The lack of trade stands was a bit of a surprise as MEW magazine seems to be getting more advertisers. If the organisers can't get people like Arc and Warco to exhibit in the next couple of years they will have to consider future of the show.

John H

Reply to
John

John I went today and thought they put on a good show. I especially liked the half scale motorbike engines and enjoyed talking to the chap who made them. Manx Norton, G45, And Velocette engines they are absolute works of art in my humble opinion. There is also a brilliant Rolls Royce Areo engine so perfectly made it makes you cry. There did not seem a great deal of competition models mainly display exhibits. The model world seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I entered my model to the gods but it has yet to be judged. It is a variation on the Metalmaster lathe I have called it Stepperhead, will let you know of any opinions when I here them. Regards Alan

Reply to
jackary

I will admit that I have planned not to go there this year. I was underwhelmed by the trade support for the centenary show and felt that the addition of the Sinsheim track would not compensate for that and the lack of major model collections this year.

Ally Pally made a good venue for London/home counties. I don't think that Ascot is the right place, unless they can put up some serious tentage and encourage better trade support.

I will be going to the Midlands one, but that's only just down the road from me.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thank Christ for that I wondered who was buying at the White Hart ?

.John S.

Reply to
John S

I'll have to try to get there on time this year!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

So what day will the free beer be then Mark? Just whisper I won't tell anyone else - honest :-)

regards

Thirsty of Wales

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I went on Saturday having been told to have low expectations. I knew traders would be absent in droves but I found most of the models exhibits good and worth the visit. The ground level railway was good and the GL5 members running on it made it ... but I would say that as a GL5 member.

Speaking to some traders who were there, they indicated trade was not so good and next year may see them absent. The cost of a stand seems to be a deterrent too.

Our club did not exhibit this year, not because we were against it per say but could not find a volunteer to handle the hassle of organising it as "they" do not make it easy to get stuff in and out and have organised stands on which to display. I guess other clubs may have had similar problems and there seemed to be less than a handful of club stands present.

Maybe I will get the badge for attending the last MEX !!!!

What is worthwhile, but not well publicised, is a visit to the Ascot clubs railway just a few moments away by car behind the course.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall