Begginer's tools and books?

Hi,

My son is 14 and has been building models with just paper and hot glue for a little while. He hasn't gotten the scale down yet and I would like to give him some books or an intro to model making with that sort of information. He want to build a model house first and he has some materials for it. I am not sure what to buy in order to achieve what he wants. Also, what should he use to create ground elevations like hills, etc.

Thank you in advance for any tips, advice, etc.

FayeC

Reply to
FayeC

timely old method ... as done by blue peter

you can make the house out of corrugated cardboard ... the hills are made of paper-mache

this is news paper and wallpaper paste

first you screw balls of news paper up ...maybe bind them together with tape ...

form into hillocks ......glue to bass board

then lay flat sheets of news paper over these ...glueing it down as you go ...

let this lot set -up ...

then the next day start soaking narrow strips of news paper...and laying these strips down over what you've already done ...

don't go too wet or the whole lot will collapse.

only add about two layers of news paper at a time ... wait to dry ...and add more the next day ...

you can add some in other areas to sculpture it till you are happy with its appearance ... when the layers of news paper have minimum thickness of 1/4 inch you're done ...it will be very strong ... and you can then paint it .

trees shrubs etc ....use your imagination .....

with pipe cleaners cotton wool etc

BTW ..despite this group being called what it is ...its a long way, and far removed from doing what Ive just described .

this group is for models ...meaning ...steam engines etc ...and engineering meaning...lathes and milling machines.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

FayeC,

I spent many happy hours building these kits with my Dad. They ar intended for model railways, but they do look very realistic. They ar printed card that you fold and stick together:

Regards,

Garth

-- DR_

----------------------------------------------------------------------- DR_G's Profile:

this thread:

DR_G

Hi, not really my world but when my children were younger they were interested in HO gauge model trains and when building a small layout they needed to make various buildings, trees etc. The techniques are very easy and you can buy the pipe cleaners, powder. card etc to make them look realistic at most model train shops. My children picked up many ideas from local toy/train fairs where the stall holders/ exhibitors were very keen to help the youngsters get involved with modeling. Have a look here initially for some leads on what is done when building layouts:

While many of the web pages are commercial and you can spend pounds on buying realistic looking sceanery some good models can be make using very basic household bits and some imagination have a look here for various basic techniques:

and this one has some ideas on how to make buildings yourself:

I'm sorry I can't be more help but if your son does a little internet research on model railway layouts and construction he will be able to pick up a lot of helpful ideas. A vist to the local model railway shop or toy/train fail will also produce a lot of ideas and there are certainly a number of basic books on modeling buildings, trees, grass etc from card etc..

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

It might be worth having a search on somewhere like Amazon to see if there are any books that might help. Must be something.

BTW, would this have anything to do with school would it? I have 14yo son, and Im wondering if I'll be in the same situation!!!!

AC

Reply to
AC

On or around Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:51:04 -0500, FayeC enlightened us thusly:

snot exactly beginner... but I'm currently on:

from
Many kits from marcle models:

Personally, I'm using PVA glue, applied with a small (about #3) nylon artists' brush

Reply to
Austin Shackles