Boilermaking

Anybody point me to chapter and verse on the 'new boiler regs'?, since I don't know what the old ones were it might be a good idea before I start melting (oops, I mean soldering) copper.

Reply to
Andy Parker

I presume you mean the ones for models and not the full size!

You can get copies from either the Northern or Southern Federations of ME societies. (As a start you could look here:

and here:
A number of clubs have web sites that give a précis of the requirements but not the full account.

If you are building new to an established design published then the regs will affect you on initial boiler test and subsequent ones.

If you are building to a design of your own or a new design then the boiler inspectors will require boiler design calculations and also to see the work in progress ...... but then you do not say if you are a club member and have access to boiler inspectors ....... It could be a problem if you want to rally in public as you will need insurance and the insurer's will need boiler certificates etc .....

The regs are different for steel boilers than for copper. As you are in copper the only other question is size as small boilers, which means those smaller than 1.5 bar-litres (i.e. working pressure x volume), are exempt the requirements.

Trust there are enough pointers here for you start the journey!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Hi Andy

I've just finished a Sweet William boiler to the new regs. Like you I did a bit of digging around for information at the start of the project. The regs are, to say the least, open to interpretation and got a lot of contradictory advice.

My suggestion is that you discuss the boiler with your club inspector (or whoever is obtaining insurance for you) and agree a clear course of action.

In my case this was

Certificates of conformity for all materials. Stage by stage inspection of the boiler with notes and photos. Normal hydraulic and steam tests.

One big issue with my club was the requirement that all work was done by myself. I was not able to "sub contract" plate forming or soldering to a commercial organisation. I could have " the assistance of other model engineers on a non profit basis".

Also worth discussing is

Acceptability of soft solder and if so where it can be used.

Deviations from a published design - typically things like replacing tapped boiler plate with bushes or adding an extra water gauge.

Hope this is of some help

regards

Dave Burrage

Reply to
david.burrage

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net writes

Oh deep joy.

Does this mean that the stuff I have gathering dust^W^W maturing under by bench for the Allchin boiler will have to be replaced with certificated materials?

Say it isn't so!

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

In an attempt to clear up some of the apparent confusion on the subject of boilermaking I've had another read of the very useful booklet 'The Examination & Testing of Miniature Steam Boilers' (Jan 2006 edition) as published jointly by The Midlands Federation, Northern Association, 7 1/4" Gauge Society and The Southern Federation. As far as I can see almost all recognised designs available through the ME press or trade will be fine (section 4 - Design Verification) and will not require material certification so long as the materials used are suitable for the purpose (ie material type & size etc as per the drawings) and joined by either silver soldering or riveted / soft solder caulked (appendix A - specific requirements for non-commercially built copper boilers). I'll try and post the whole booklet shortly (in pdf form). Rgds Clive, secretary GEC (Coventry) MES

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Tiggurr

Thanks for some good pointers guys, it is the certification of materials bit that wories me most, working on a 3 1/2" de Winton so it's not going to be a standard boiler! I do have a local club who I have met but not joined, personal circumstances prevent me going out much (swmbo is disabled), (more workshop time though!) and quiz the boiler inspector. Clive, thanks for the leaflet, it's not working here in Outlook but I have a better (proper) newsreader on t'other pc in t'office. Cheers

Reply to
Andy Parker

Hi Nigel

As I suggested earlier I think the best route is see what your boiler inspector is happy with. There is a wide variation on how different clubs interpret the regs.

regards

Dave Burrage

Reply to
david.burrage

Posting it on usenet is unlikely to work very well, as most of the servers strip any non-text messages in order to minimise bandwidth.

Worst case scenario could see you losing your internet account, as posting binarys to a text newsgroup is a violation of your terms of service.

Got any free webspace with your account? Post the files there and post a link to them. That way only those that wish to download them get them in their inbox.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Failing that, email me at AT hardboiled dot plus.com, and I'll host them for you (assuming no copyright problems)

Reply to
bigegg

Ooops! I forgot this was a text only group - I hang my head in shame, sorry all! I will investigate my isp in case I'm allowed free space with them and hopefully get back to you all with a link soon. Rgds Clive

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.3 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Tiggurr

Hi Andy, I've managed to put a dpf scan of the current boiler regs up on a free file hosting site - the link is:

's a bit large at 5.7Megs - and that is with both front & back covers omitted and after zipping, lol! Hope it's of help, Rgds Clive

Reply to
Clive

The same thing, OCR'd and reduced to just 292k

(no need to pay for a premium account, just click on the "free" button)

Reply to
Mike

Hi Nigel,

I've just downloaded the very useful pdf pointed to by Clive and Mike and below is a quote from it. Basically it seems if it a copper boiler then you don't need certified materials.

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

It does. Thanks!

I can go back to letting the materials mature with an easy mind. ;^)

Reply to
Nigel Eaton