'Brass' v 'Cycle' thread standards

I have a Presto tap marked '5/16" BRASS 26TPI'

5/16" Cycle thread (which is what I want to make a nut for) is also 26TPI, question is can I use the tap I have?

I have Googled but cannot find any data on the Brass thread form and wondered if anyone here remembers brass threads? ISTR that they too were all

26TPI and used in the manufacture of gas light fittings. Having said that not all cycle treads are 26TPI though!

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Yes Ian brass is all 26 TPI main differences are Cycle is 60 degrees, brass is Whit form at 55 degrees. To all intents and purposed both will interchange. My cycle and brass are all together and I never bother to read the markings, never had a problem yet with interchange.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Have a look at

only a small exerpt of an extremely useful website. Many thanks to Peter for his efforts therein.

Reply to
John Montrose