Chinese watchmakers lathes ?

Has anyone here ever used or played with one of the Chinese "Watchmakers Lathe Precision Tool" lathes available on ebay, eg item 280467508386 ?

I see they are available with a full range of accessories like vertical slides, indexing plates etc etc which you can basically whistle for if you buy quality European watchmakers lathes on ebay (yes, I know they come up *occasionally*, but how often do you see a complete set ?).

Anyway, I am more interested in replies from people who've actually used one than I am in generic comments like "Chinese rubbish" and "you get what you pay for".

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

I have not used or seen one, but if you buy be aware that the collets, though 8 mm across the shank, invariably have 7 mm threads and hence are not interchangeable with standard British and American collets and accessories.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Thanks Cliff, that's useful to know.

Boo2

Reply to
Boo

Have you seen the Draper 22824?

I don't know whether it's any good.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Or the gold plated version ;)
Anybody know if the motor for that is available as a spare? Looks ideal for something I'm putting together her.

Reply to
Lester Caine

Very interesting, thanks Peter.

From the Draper website at

it seems it comes with all the parts to convert to a mill and a drill as well. I'm interested to hear if anyone here has used one or seen one in the flesh ? Wonder if onyone'll have them on display at the LMEE next month...

Boo2

Reply to
Boo

It does look very useful and a quick search reveals a much better price than on Ebay, take a look on Amazon as this seems to be the best price for anywhere that actually has stock. Is this a new item as there are no ratings?

Mike

--

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet