Chuck guard glazing material?

I want to replace the 'glazing' in a metal-framed chuck guard, as well as the window covering the gearbox scale on my lathe.
I was thinking in terms of polycarbonate, but I know it scratches easily and it's also expensive - I have to buy an 8' x 4' sheet for well over 100, or pay to have it cut to size. The chuck guard will get scratched whatever I use, but the visibilty through the gearbox scale cover is rather more important. I could always get some toughened glass for that, do it as a separate job. At the moment it's non-see-through plastic. I see RS have something called PETG Copolyester which would be more economical if any use. Any suggestions about this or any other suitable material?
Thanks Tim

That well-known DIY shop for existentialists with time on their hands (Be and Queue) sells polycarbonate sheet a lot cheaper than that (and in smaller bits too).
Regards, Tony

Thanks Tony. Any idea what thickness(es) they sell? I reckon I will want at least 4mm.
Tim

That may be a problem...I think the stuff I bought was thinner than that.
Regards, Tony

How big a piece do you need? We may have a piece of 6mm Makrolen you could have. We use it for instrument protection, and I think we have a couple of scratched panels that we cannot use.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

Tim

That should have been 'Makrolon'.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Visit your local motorbike emporium and / or scrap merchant and cut down a biker's windshield.

polycarb..........i bought a measuring cylinder that i think was made of this material ..as soon as i put white spirit in it the whole thing turned opaque in seconds.
so what with lathes using coolant and oils etc ..i thought it fare to warn you.
all the best.markj

This guy sells lexan sheet quite cheaply in various thicknesses and sizes: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/plastic-water-tank-company

Thankyou. Another kind soul had already pointed him out, looks useful.
Tim
You might try this company, they appear to have good stock and will supply small quantities.
http://www.plasticonline.co.uk/index.php
As yet never used them myself.
Mike.