Clamp Ammeters at higher frequencies

I have a rather ancient (1950's??) Ferranti (type L mk2) clamp ammeter with scales up to 1000Amp ac. It presumably is intended only for 50 cycle use. No electronics in it, the jaws are the transformer core, the target wire the primary and a simple moving coil meter with various shunts across the secondary.

Doing proving tests on the new furnace 'body' I was using it as an indicator round one of the four 'power hoses' and was suprised to see indications of 800-900 amps when only running at 25 KW (max is 100 KW). The hoses are electrically paired so presumably something of the order of 1600-1800 amps were flowing if the meter is close to correct. I have never had cause to doubt it at mains frequency.

BUT: today I was running at 2,100 Hz. Now as the frequency rises the transformer will run out of puff as the core is normal transformer lamination stuff but presumably the effect would be a low reading not a high one? If the magnetic circuit can cope with the frequency, the turns ratio stays the same so the reading should be correct ?????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It certainly assumes sine wave, but don't you have square wave?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Is it moving coil, or is it moving iron?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

ammeter

correct.

Definately moving coil - I can just squint it as I rock the needle with inertia.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

I'm no great expert on transformers, Andrew, but it is interesting that audio frequency transformers are generally smaller than mains ones, and RF transformers are positively tiny. So perhaps the efficiency rises with frequency.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

core,

No Nick, the coil / capacitor tank circuit are at resonance and actually form a very clean sine wave despite being driven from an 'H bridge' that obviously starts off as square waves. It is the resonance that creates the enormous circulating currents.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

ammeter

correct.

Yes David it certainly does, but the turns ratio equation stays the same and it is this that gives the current indication as I understand it. Mind you I'm easily confused

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson