Diamond sandpaper

Does anyone know where to but diamond sandpaper? Sheets, not disks. I'm not looking for a lot.

Thanks

Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I think it's normal to buy diamonds in suspension, and squirt the stuff onto a substrate (paperm acetate, copper etc)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

I've never seen it - diamond grit is usually bonded to metal...probably because the paper wouldn't last that long, and the relatively high cost of the grit.

Any particular reason why it has to be diamond and not, say, silicon carbide or carborundum paper?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I've got Aluminium Oxide lapping film but not diamond. RS do both, but the diamond sheets go for about £30-50 per sheet.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Google "Micromesh MXD". I'm not sure if there is a UK supplier but I guess you can buy from the US if your need is great enough.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Not sandpaper but what about the diamond foam blocks from Arc ?

Towards the bottom of the page. I presume you want something that's flexible ?

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

I want to polish some turbine blades in a very small turbine wheel machined form solid - the blades are about 6 mm long, 4mm deep, and 2 mm apart.

I need something thin, in order to get into the 2 mm gaps, flexible because the blades are curved, and hard because the wheel is made from Inconel.

That's why I thought diamond sandpaper - cut it into strips, fasten the ends into bands, and drive with a dremel or mini-belt-sander or something.

Though finishing the concave surface is going to be ... interesting! ...

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Micromesh

is very flexible and does a very good job on curved surfaces - though being more of a woodworker I use a piece of 8000 grit glued to a bit of MDF to give chisel edges a quick touch. Turns out they do have UK distributors (see web site) though none quotes a price. I got mine from a tutor so have never bought it direct.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Send us a snail mail address and I'll send a sheet each (they're about A6 size) of 1, 5 and 12 micron Aluminium oxide lapping sheet (can't remember if I've got any 30 micron). It's single sided, about 2-3 thou thick, very flat. Think plastic shim stock with graded grains on one side.. Abrasive layer is fairly delicate, but it will impart an optical mirror finish on things. Used some on hardened steel last night.

If that works, ok. If it works but is short lived, then you can invest in the much more expensive diamond stuff.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Polish first with normal wet & dry, then get a small syringe of diamond paste. Pop in to the local Costa coffee or Starbucks and grab a handful of their thin wooden coffee stirrer sticks. Use sticks with diamond paste to polish.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I have some of the regular Micromesh stuff that I bought as a sample pack - it seems to last for ages and works extremely well. They do various grades bonded onto plastic spatulas - e.g.,:

and abrasive swabs, e.g.:

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Spin it in a slurry.

Reply to
_

Each to his own, I guess...But after that, how does he polish his turbine?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

we maufacture right here in our plant

SIZE TYPE MICRON SIZE PRICE

3"x 6" SH 15 & FINER $2.72 30 $3.48 45X 60 $4.52 6"X 6" SH 15 & FINER $5.43 3"X 8" SH 15 & FINER $3.64 30 $4.64 45& 60 $8.67 9"X 11" SH 15& FINER $15.02
Reply to
Advanced Abras