Disposing of used coolant

I have about 4 gallons of old coolant (soluble oil and water) that I need to dispose of; the local council tip only accepts used motor oil so that's out.
I had thought of trying to separate out the oil so that I only have a small volume to dispose of but can't think of anything off hand that I could use to do this (short of boiling off the water). Anyone care to share how they dispose of this or how to separate the oil from the water? Martin
--

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:42:45 +0100, "Martin Whybrow"

Put it in an open container (I use a plastic 45 gallon water but, but anything open will do). Leave it, sheltered from the rain for a few months. Decant what's left and tell the council that it's used engine oil.
If you are in a hurry, then rig up an aquarium pump and a airstone in the bottom of the container. The water will evaporate surprisingly fast and the anaerobic bacteria won't get too bad.
Last lot was 12 gallons that took four months to get rid of in spring weather without additional assistance. Next lot will have a bleed off the air pump that keeps it fresh in the grinder's coolant tank.
Mark Rand RTFM

Pour it down the drain like eveyone else does. Ben

By pure accident, I left a can of lager in the deep freeze( once) Very interesting way of making almost 100% alcohol. So why not freeze the cutting fluid and pour off the unfrozen oil as a small amount?
Hint- do your alcohol separation- AFTER the cutting oil lark, please.
Hic
Norm
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:30:23 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674
Because it would stink out the freezer? Not sure that it would be any good for keeping edible substances after that...but if you are into drinking the "distillate" from frozen beer, then anything is possible <G>
Regards, Tony
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:30:23 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674
The unfortunate part of the technique is that it also concentrates the flavourings, colourings, other hydrocarbons, etc. etc. in with the alcohol, so while it is high in alcohol it is also very high in all the other things that conspire to fry your brain. So my guess is that it would be not so much "hic" as "sick"...
Regards, Tony
.Now Tony tells me. But I was in Villa Nova de Gaia which is rather like Gateshead to Newcastle and what I recall of the port process was that they were doing something similar to my suggestion with freezing.
As there was sampling involved, I am still somewhat hazy of what happened later. I merely suggested all this in the interest of science being of an absinthian(Sp?) nature.
Ah well?
ravensworth2674 wrote:

The freezing technique is apparently in widespread use in Alaska, where freezing is cheap, and to a lesser extent in some other parts of the Northern US and Canada as well.
However if you really want a killer headache, try putting scrumpy in a freezer.
No, I didn't say that,
-- Peter Fairbrother
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Indeed, but - you get the same amount of flavourings, colourings, other hydrocarbons, etc. etc. if you drink it straight.
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Apropos nothing much, I'm a single malt Scotch man, blended malt if ever I can afford it. Lived in Ireland for a bit, and appreciate the poteen as well, some of which is hoarded and matured and lovely, but ...
There is a tale that the Irish are, well to put it bluntly, thick (or perhaps stoned) because of the peat smoke from the open fires. This may apply to a lesser extent to the Scots as well (I am a Scot).
However, the magic smoke from the peat, when distilled into fine Scotch whisky, seems to have a slightly different effect - the inexperienced may want to fight, but the experienced grow. Or glow.
I have wondered whether this might be why Ireland is called the land of ire (anger), but I don't know the chemistry
and don't get me talking about salads, the opioids in them, and the English rich
-- Peter Fairbrother
.. Just been watching a repeat( oh yes) of Have I got News For You on Dave and John Prescott's reports on Hydrocardigans. Another case of pulling the wool over the rest of us?
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

Not surprising, as that point was not in your message, either to get or to miss. If you want someone to "get" something in a message it often helps to write it down, I find, rather than trusting their psychic ability.
Perhaps if you wrote just a little more obscurely we could recognize it was just random scribbling and not try to make sense of your posts at all...
Regards, Tony

Don't be a spoil sport Tony, how else could we go from getting rid of 4 gallons of smelly coolant to "drinking frozen stuff". Such mad adventures are rare in today's boring H&S PC world - thankfully.
Regards
Keith
.To be boring, the first cup of coffee should have suggested one possible answer. In all probability it came from something called AFD or Accelerated freeze drying. Hence the oblique references to Alaska and Sweden. I avoided reference to Antarctica as we all know that it is the driest desert in the World. We do, don't we? Oh, well never mind.
So, I know that oil and water do not mix. I hoped that it was all so patently obviously that a good romp could be had by all Ah, well?
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:04:25 -0700 (PDT), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Its a fair point <G>
Regards, Tony

I have an infinite capacity ash tray in the van for such jobs. Park in the Town Hall car park on a cold, dark, wet, winter's night. If they won't take a few 25l drums of what is obviously domestic waste produced in my workshop then the buggers can do it the hard way.
Regards,
David P.

On a very serious note:- fines for businesses polluting waterways with oil run at 25,000 per event DAMHIKT! (The oil didn't get as far as the cooling ponds, but got far too close for comfort)
Mark Rand RTFM
Perhaps its possible to absorb it into something like wood shavings and dispose of it bagged at your local skips.
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:35:27 -0700 (PDT), 1501

Cat litter would do the trick.
Regards, Tony

I'll have a play and see how much a bag of Tesco's el-cheapo cat litter absorbs. Thanks for the suggestion. Martin