Help with Collets

Hi all
I have been given a collet chuck for my lathe which has a different type of collect to most I have found. The collets are similar to a 5c
collets except they have a thread of 12TPI at the base, are 1.25in dia over the thread. They are 3.43 in long and have a fromt diameter of 1.5in.
Could someone help with an identification of the type and, if anyone has any they want to sell, could you let me know. I am after 1/16 to 1 1/2 collets as time and pocket permit!!
Many thanks
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:19:14 -0700 (PDT), Adrian G

They are Crawford "Trugrip" collets. Quite rare and there are more chucks than collets out there. Don't even ask the new price unless you're backed by a sovreign wealth fund.
If you take the chuck apart you can see how it's made. There's a stepped ring inside that can be easily remade to accept 5C threads and then you can use proper 5c collets. The only downside is the fine thread of 5C requires more turns of the chuck key and turning the handle the wrong way, 5C are RH threaded and Trugrip are LH.
Charles

Many thanks for that Charles. looks like another job for the weekend!!
Adrian
Hi,
If you have not sourced any Trugrip collets yet I have 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/16" steps (5/16" is missing), plus 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 1", 11 collets altogether.
I am asking £100 including postage for the lot. This values each collet at well under £10 each and I checked at Home & Workshop Machinery stand at the 2009 Harrogate exhibition recently and they are selling them for £30 each (probably plus VAT, but I didn't ask).
These collets are in good condition, so grab yourself a bargain! I posted this reply on 20/5/09, but I will be advertising these collets elsewhere on 1/6/09.
They must be sold fairly quickly so please respond directly to me if you are interested at snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk as I only registered with this site to respond to your request and will not be visiting it regularly.
Chris.
Chris
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/134813317.aspx
as I only registered with this site to respond to your request and will not be visiting it regularly.
Chris.
Chris
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/134813317.aspx
----------------------------------------------------------------- You wait nine months to respond to this thread and now you demand a reply within ten days! Does time run slowly at your engineering factory in China?
Cliff Coggin.