Donnington

Well I attended the show today, actually went with the idea that did not need to buy anything, still managed to spend £61.

A tee nut set, clamps bolts etc from Chester's that I thought was a very reasonable price at £25, should make workholding a bit easier then using bits of plate and 1/2" bolts on the Harrison mill.

A 30 int adapter for my 2 inch boring head, I thought this was quite high at £30, but as I have no longer got taper turning on the lathe I have to put up with it. lastly a few 1/2" parting blades and that was my lot. Plenty of catalogues for later perusal.

Several stalls now selling digital displays for use on machines similar to the vernier calliper system, prices beginning to drop on these I am glad to say. Several tat stalls. Some very good models and some very old models on show, Certainly likes the Aero engine in the glass case (RR) and definitely think that some of the detailing in these models is wonderful.

Saw Tony and introduced myself, nice to put a face to a name.

Also tried, without success to get a couple of 40dp gear cutters to cover 26 and 52 teeth.

Started to discuss with a knowledgeable person about trying to cut any 40 DP gears with a straight rack style hob and got shot down in flames 8-( I will still try the idea though at some time of making a gear hob with no thread on it, just the teeth profile. spinning this as you would a normal gear cutter passing a blank at the correct depth passed it, indexing to the next tooth and another pass etc.

Similar idea to the use of a form cutter and planer, but I have no planer.

Anyhow, any ones else's views on the show and its content?

-- Cheers Adrian.

Weekend Workshop
Home made propane Foundry
Learning CNC on a Vertical Mill