Eagle Surface Grinder

Can anybody tell me what sized motor is normally fitted to an Eagle surface grinder? I'd guess that it's about 3/4 - 1HP It's an easy question to answer if you have the grinder with a motor - and I have a grinder without a motor!

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

One HP I have an eagle here and it's more than adequate. You stall the wheel first and burn the job sooner than run out of power. You can just push 2 thou a pass with a rough wheel.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Thanks

1 HP, 2800rpm I suppose? c
Reply to
Charles Ping

Whats the max grinding area

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

A 14" x 6" chuck fits on with a little extra at the ends for clamping.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Andrew, it looks like you have the 3W model which has the oversized guards on the table to prevent splash from wet grinding. The grinding capacity on this is listed as 15" x 5" but you would probably get a bit more by cutting the guards back.

Another thing to be aware of is that on this model and up the base and column are cast in one lump IIRC, so you can take off the table, knee, and head, but that still leaves an awful big lump of cast iron to shift around. On the Mk1 & 2 the column and base can be split up.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I have the same model grinder or at least generic enough to look like it and mine has a 18 x 6 mag table on it and you can get all over the table.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

mine has a 18

at:-

You could well be right John, I was just going by all the sales blurb I bought from Tony at lathes.co.uk mistakenly thinking it was a manual:) I can get aboout 16" x 6.5" out of my Mk2 which lists max at 15" x 6", whilst the Mk3 is listed at 18" x 6", the 3w is listed at 12" x 5" or

15" x 5" depending if it's a Dronsfield or Victa, while the 3A is listed at 24" x 6".

Probably all more than adequate for what we need them for, and whatever size they are it's a very handly little grinder to have tucked away in the corner.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill