Elliot drills any good ?

I'm replacing my meddings pillar drill with a small bench drill for my little jobs, and I'm thinking of buying an old Elliot Progress drill for my larger jobs.

Does anyone on this group have any experiance of, or opinions on, these drills ?

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

We have an Elliott Progress 3A, and apart from its weight, it is a VERY good machine tool. Unless yours has been seriously misused, it should give you years of service. Most wearing parts like bearings are easily replaced, I have a parts list for the 3A but not for any other models.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

We have an old Progress drill in the lab at work. Been going strong for the last 30 years to my personal knowledge.

5 speed change via stepped pulleys and hi/lo backgear. The backgear got quite noisy about 20 years ago and I stripped it down but could not see anything obvious. I refilled the gearbox with the heaviest gear oil we had in the stores and it has been fine ever since. The quill oil seal leaks a bit and tended to give the first user each day a horizontal stripe across the chest of his shirt. I mounted an inverted tuna fish tin on the underside of the quill above the chuck Now any oil slung out hits the inside of the tin and drips on the table which is easily cleared up and does not get us in trouble with our SWMBOs

I'd have no doubts about buying one

BTW they weigh between half and one hernia each so do get help shifting it. The geared head is the heavy bit and so also do bolt it down to the bench. Don't leave this detail as a roundtoit as I doubt that you will be able to catch one as it topples.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'd second that! The base is not that big and the machine is very top-heavy if it starts to go over, so watch what you are doing. I still haven't got mine bolted down yet as I have machinery to move round first, but Bob's warning is quite correct.

Factory picture of the 3A is on our site at:

Peter

Peter A Forbes