ER40 Lathe Chuck?

Does anybody marke an ER40 lathe collet chuck? I know that Arc Eurotrade do an ER32 version here:

But an ER40 would b e better

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Not seen one and not seen cheap ER40 nuts either. J&L do the nuts if you fancy building one but not cheap.

Arc does ER32 nuts on their own and Ower Gert does ER20's and 25's

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I was thinking of a 5C chuck but then reckoned that an ER40 would be better. Are there any downsides to ER40 over 5C?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

You can't to depth stops with the ER series, with internally threaded 5C you can fit a depth stop.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You can't get square or hexagonal ER collets, but then an ER collet covers a whole mm of size where the 5C only does one specific size. Also you can't use the 5C on your milling machine (at least I've never seen a milling machine that uses 5C collets).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Some Hardinge miller use 5c collets

Reply to
Ken Widdall

There was a ER40 chuck with a set of collets on eBay a few weeks ago which went quite cheap iirc. There are some somewhat expensive chucks with collet sets on sale there now, in the shops section.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

The reason behind this rethink is that my 5.5" Kerry isn't really big enough for the 7" Crawford multibore collet chuck that I have. It has a full set of collets from 1/8" to 2" but really would fit a 6-7" lathe so it'll have to go. Ideally I'd like an L00 Burnerd multisize but since they're a bit hard to find I'm thinking of alternatives that give at least 1" as the maximum. Other suggestions welcomed.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I'm sure there would be a market for an ER40 chuck suitable for lathe mounting, especially now that ER40 collets at the cheaper end of the market seem to be turning up. The extra capacity above ER32 would be a great plus.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I've done a "Mawson" and put it on Ebay if anyone is interested.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

"Done a Mawson " now that could go into an encyclodepia if I could speel it

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

....nah .... small league !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Where seems to be the cheapest for ER40 then?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hi Charles I know of no one who make an ER 40 chuck , I have just aquired some used ER

40s and I am about to set to to make a chuck to be able to use them on my 254s As you proberbly know the 40s range up to 26 mm dia , my 254 has a spindle bore of 1 in plus , ideal . Best Regards Jim
Reply to
Jim Kent

I'm sure there would be a market for an ER40 chuck suitable for lathe

mounting, especially now that ER40 collets at the cheaper end of the market seem to be turning up. The extra capacity above ER32 would be a great plus.

Cheers Tim

Why not adapt a straight ER40 shank holder to a thick backplate? Glu and pin or shrink fit?

Steve Larne

-- Steve Larne

this thread:

Steve Larner