few turret mill questions

I was wondering if there was any reason not to crank the head over

90degrees and do some horizontal boring? I am sitting in doors at the moment plotting something and can't think of a reason not to do this. The work piece is to big to go under the head and have room for a cutter, so I am going to set up so the hole to be bored horizontal..

The mill in question is an Ajax turret mill and the power feed sometimes seems to do nothing. it's as though it had a gear with a tooth missing, certain places in the stroke it just stops but it does continue on it's own without any prompting. I don't suppose it has a clutch of some sort somewhere? I keep meaning to look online for a manual or a view of the feed assembly..I suppose i should just strip it and see.. rik

Reply to
rik

you mean like this:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Nice beaver !

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Mine doesn't look anywhere near that good, but I'm close to the point of starting to recondition it. That project will take all winter at least :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I like a nice beaver.........

I saw a really big beaver[yes twas biggggggg] turret that had been used in a training place. It looked like new and I could have had it cheap but moving my mill out and the other in was all seemed like to much trouble, feel free to come round and kick me.

rik

Reply to
rik