FS:lathe

Anyone interested in a Myford ML7 in fairly good condition?

Reply to
Mike

Which part of the UK are you in? I'm in Norfolk. GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

In article , david writes

Just out of curiosity, who did you add "Not drill, router, plane" to your item title?

It just makes it more difficult for those searching for those items. Those looking for a lathe will find your item.

This is one of those "tricks" that really, *really* ticks me off when searching Ebay.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

interested

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I am glad there is some interest in my ML7! I will take some pictures and put them on my web pages.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

OK - did that.

Hopefully these pictures will be useful to someone, even if they do not want an ML7.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the pictures. May I ask couple of questions?

How would you describe the tailstock-advancing-device? Is this classed as a lever-operated tailstock? Is it an optional Myford accessory or a cunningly-designed add-on? Any plans or drawings available?

Your lathe, as mine, has a sleeve on the leadscrew. Now I'm guessing that this is so you could fit a gearbox. Is this correct? Has anyone ever modified/replaced this sleeve with a dog-clutch arrangement, and if so, do any drawings/description exist?

I ask because I have just bought Tony Jeffree's excellent Taig book, and empathise with his comments on trying to move the carriage using the leadscrew hand wheel with the fine feed gears in place.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Montrose

I think it was a Myford option. Maybe other people know. Personally, I prefer the wheel arrangement.

I does not have a sleeve on the leadscrew that I can see - there is the mount for the power switch.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Oh yes it does

It's the bit on the leadscrew in the first photo that's above the front left 'foot' of the lathe and below the backgear lever, held in place by two roll pins.

I reckon it might be possible to replace this with some sort of sliding dog clutch mechanism.

Reply to
John Montrose

OK - I see what you mean. I would call this a coupler rather than a sleeve. I assume it is for taking the leadscrew apart, perhaps to install a gearbox. A clutch would be a good idea I agree. Mike Oxfordshire.

Reply to
willis.mj

Of course if you fit the gearbox you simply disengage the box to have this effect so you then don't need the clutch. Expensive option though.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Interestingly, Myford have just released a rack operated tailstock attachment. Unfortunately they are only producing it for the super 7/ML7R type tailstock. Another missed opportunity.

Having done a bit of deep hole drilling recently (and having the skinned knuckles to prove it) I think that a .125" CP pinion is in the forseable future for me.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand