More than one way to skin a cat, was: milling for a large ring gear

I've eventually got theflywheel/ ring gear problem sorted, & have to say I'm quite proud of it! I've posted a few pics, look at
http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Index/ListerJP/IndexLister.htm
if you're interested. Look at the text file for description. I'm happy to acknowledge the help given by members of the Cynical Traders' Federation <g>
It's my first attempt to put anything up on my web space, so please make allowances, & helpful comments if needed.
Cheers Tim
Tim
Looks like you've done a neat job altogether, and the pictures are OK too.
Considering the weight of the job and the size of the rotary table, was there some other support for the flywheel or was it all just standing there?
Ian Phillips

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:46:28 -0000, "Ian Phillips"

The weight was within the manufacturer's rating for the table, but I did slip some packing below the rim when cutting the gearteeth, I think you can see it in one of the pics. It was just a big block of Ali sitting on the mill table, an odd piece of gauge plate to make up the thickness, and a steel rule which I slipped out between cuts to reduce the drag, as losing steps on the stepper motor would have been a disaster!. In fact, I forgot to take it out several times & had no such problems.
Cheers Tim

<Applause>
Isn't it lovely when you do something that can't be done? <G>
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester

Great Job!
That's the kind of Job I got my Nickname for ;-) Michael 'Geht nicht gibts nicht' Buchholz... which roughly translates to: 'not possibe isn't existing'
Michael.
I think you should be pleased with that. Well done.
Alla
-- Allan Waterfal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&useridR67 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid2546