Galvanising

I'm getting some galvanising done in the next month. There is a miniumum order charge that will do up to 50Kg in a batch. Items need to be cleaned of all paint first. My batch will be around 20kgs tops so I will have 30kgs or so spare capacity. Anyone in travelling distance of Southampton want to club together to make up the weight??

Drop me an email bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

when i want galvanising done i take my stuff to local fab shop and they add it to their weekly pick up

you want to do a good degreasing as well as paint removal ...and make sure you get the soot off the welds.

as their methods of degreasing and soot removal will be lacking

because they only dip .........and don't agitate with a paint brush like you would yourself

as seen here

and make sure any enclosed box is vented .....make sure that the galvanising solution can enter , completely fill the box and drain out of the box no matter what way up it is put into the tank...because they wont care.

put in holes or hooks on weldments so that they can suspend the work, so their chains etc don't lie against the work.........they also tie your work up with a pile of other peoples work......so think out what may happen.

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Galvanising or molten zinc dipping?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hot Dipping is what they say on their website. The company is Wessex Galvanising in Eastleigh I called in today and asked about getting stuff galvanised and they did not offer options. Can you explain the difference please Mark. tia Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Electroplated zinc can give a layer almost as bright as chrome, but usually very thin. Hot dipping gives a decently thick layer that isn't as pretty but much better if the primary aim is corrosion. There can be variations in the thickness achieved with hot dipping as well, I believe that they tend to put a layer of charcoal/coke on top of the bath to help wipe off surplus zinc as well as reducing oxidation of the top of the bath. Different quantities of lead can be added to the zinc to change its fluidity as well.

Not that you as a small punter get any choice in the matter, but presumably if you had a few miles of lamp posts a day to do it would make a difference:-)

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks Mark.

Sounds like hot dip is what I need. I don't mind what it looks like but I don't want it rusting away. The items will be outside 24/7. I't be putting effort into making the things and don't want to see them dissolve with time.

I've used commercial items claiming to be "bright Zinc Plated" BZP such a screws and hinges and they rust after few years.

We have a couple of fabrication companies locally so I'll ask them about hitching a ride on their orders too.

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

We get a lot of stuff shot blasted and Zinc Sprayed before powder coating. That's as good as you'll get on used steelwork, new stuff you can get hot dipped, but the finish on used is very variable and may need pickling first to clean out any rust.

Our trailer has done 10 years out in all weathers and no rust, even where the powder has chipped off in places.

We use the process for new outdoor cabinets as well as for refurbing older stuff.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

they say their processing works fine on black 'iron' as it comes from t'mill. I'll possibly put the angle grinder with a wire brush over it all before sending it off.

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin