Gauge block info

Picked up this interesting bit of reading from another group
(http://www.starrett.com/pages/72_wringability.cfm )
Richard

Richard Edwards wrote:

You can still read people with all manner of pseudo-mystical explanations for why wringing happens.
BugBear

Very interesting; thanks, Richard. Anyone know where to get gauge stoning blocks? quite a few of my (rather second-hand) blocks are showing some signs of rust.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:18:24 +0100, David Littlewood

Did a bit of googling and found the following references which discuss the use of Arkansas Stones for removing burrs. No references actually show the slotted type stone seen in the article above
Mitutoyo http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/mitutoyo/gauge-block/4906-14458-_26.html
This whole site is well worth a read http://longislandindicator.com/p164.html
US Bureau of Standards http://emtoolbox.nist.gov/Publications/NBSIR74-523.pdf
Ok found one that you can buy in the UK <http://www.measureshop.biz/en/measuring-instruments/gauge-blocks-and-accessories/gauge-block-accessories/deburring-stone.html
Get one for me to and we will share the carriage <G>
Richard

Bloody hell, would be cheaper to buy a new set!
Thanks for the info, though. Had already googled and found some of the above, but not the measureshop one. Did find a supplier in the USA but no prices quoted.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:18:24 +0100, David Littlewood

I dropped a couple gauge blocks and they suffered obvious damage. You could feel the bump on each one. I fixed one by rubbing on a granite surface plate but the other required stoning with a hard arkansas stone. After checking the blocks to see if they would wring (they did) I used an air gage with 10 millionths of an inch resolution and the blocks measured fine. However, the blocks certification said the blocks were within 4 millionths so 10 wouldn't show me the absolute truth. Eric