Gear repair

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richards_internet/TEMPORARY/GEAR.html
That is a stripped gear from my hedgetrimmer. Part is not available.
Wheel on motor is okay.
Can this component be repaired reasonably easily? Will that gear part, I mean the toothed wheel, be a preferred size in diameter and teeth?
I wonder whether I could dismantle the wheel itself from the other part (i.e the construction on top of the wheel), get a straight/plain gear wheel and attach it back to the other part.
Not sure how easily it will be to remove the wheel from the other part.

If you are unable to find the bit you want, I may be able to turn off the fear shrink on a ring and recut the teeth, Peter
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:57:41 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Those look as though they are helical. If so it might be cheaper/simpler to get a new hedge-trimmer.

Yes, they are helical. When I said straight/plain, I was refering simply to the wheel itself, rather than the whole component.

If you are unable to find the bit you want, I may be able to turn off the fear shrink on a ring and recut the teeth, Peter -----
Are you talking welding over the sheared teeth and re-cutting? Rich

Rich....post more details of the gear illustrated, ie diameter, thickness, number of teeth.
When's your birthday? I may actually have a spare one...:))

As regards fixing, it's made tricky, because I think that the "wheel part", with the gears, is not a seperate part from the other part.
I think a bar was turned producing the shape (apart from the very end of the part obviously). Then I think a hole was drilled into the component and a shaft pressed into it. Then the gears were cut. Something like that. So, I don't think you can dismantle the component except the shaft and the end part opposite the shaft.
Therefore as for repair, I think you can only weld the component where the teeth are sheared, and re-cut the teeth. Or, cut off the "wheel part" and bolt another "wheel part" onto the other part.
As to the parameters:
Helical cut teeth. (Slants up 5mm over a thickness of 12mm).
Thickness or width of gear (at the teeth):12mm. But see pictures where you see side of gear on shaft side is not simply flush.
Wheel diameter: 65mm.
Teeth depth: About 4mm.
(snip)

Rich
I have an old main helical gear from a B&D hedge trimmer, but slightly different from you description. Mine is 65mm dia by 12.6 mm, wide, with teeth 9.1mm wide. The teeth are only about 2mm deep though. It has a driving pin set into one face and is without a shaft, but that should be an easy fix.
    It looks as though it might do the trick, the tooth width isn't critical. Unfortunately, the original photo you posted is no longer available for comparison. My wheel's from a cutter about 10 years ago. If you want it, send me your name and address by email and I'll shove it in a padded bag.

Hi. Sorry, I was messing with my webpages and I deleted some stuff.
I''ll put up the webpage again.
BTW, I counted 61 teeth. The distance between each tooth is about 3mm. I'm not sure if your wheel has far less teeth from what you say.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richards_internet/TEMPORARY/GEAR.html

Yep, tooth depth is about 2mm.
(snip)

Ahhh...bad news, Mine is very different from what I now see. Mine's a simple solid gear, without any of the trimmings I can now see. Ah well :) --