Goofed, broken drill into workpiece :-((

Steve wrote:

Should be easy enough then, isopropyl alcohol can be used to make Sarin (the nerve gas), but the worst you can make with nitric acid is nitroglycerine.
Of course a "Chemist" may not know that ...
If you are anywhere near Trowbridge Wilts I can let you have some nitric acid .. but I can't post it.
--Peter Fairbrother

The yanks reckon that a solution of alum is the dog's danglies for dissolving steel out of aluminium. Quite what alum is or where you'd get it from I have no idea.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

aluminum potassium sulphate, I can't remember what it was commonly used for.

Making pickles a bit more cruchy.

I never though of that. It's got to be better than soaking in brine. Any good recipes/mixtures?
Home grown onions pickled with home grown chilies make for a happy Christmas!!
Mark Rand RTFM
On or around Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:15:39 -0000, "Steve"

I've an idea it's used in curing animal skins.
writes

Aluminium potassium sulphate, K2SO4.Al2(SO4)3.12H2O. Fairly common chemical. Only advantage I can think of is that it's less likely to eat your flesh.
[Actually, for the terminally curious, there is a whole family of "alums" of general formula K2SO4.M2(SO4)3.xH2O, where M is a trivalent metal ion. Fe3+ and Cr3+ are probably the best known, termed iron alum and chrome alum. But the aluminium version is by far the commonest, and usually just referred to as "alum". Makes sense, as the others don't actually have any aluminium in them....]
They are easy to grow into nice big pretty crystals, especially the Cr version, which is a nice red colour. Getting a bit OT here though.
David
--
David Littlewood

Dave Baker wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALUM -(ALUMINIUM-POTASSIUM-SULPHATE)-250g_W0QQitemZ160221056048QQcmdZViewItem
3.99 plus 2.25 postage for 250 g.
Used for dyeing, as a mordant, and so on.
-- Peter Fairbrother
On or around Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:26:28 +0000, Peter Fairbrother

and for when you cut yourself shaving.

I have some alum somewhere. Take a deer or sheep skin, spread it out and apply a solution of alum and it will cure it to make you a rug. Don't worry about the animal rights people, sheep are bred to give you lamb and the deer have to be culled. Venison is a fat free supply of protein. Donald, South Uist

Jewellers supply firms usually sell a nitric acid paste. This is used by watch and clock repairers to remove broken screws. Mine is a white paste. Just put a dab on the end of the offending object, and warm over a flame. Repeat as needed. Not sure how effective it is with HSS though.
Steve R.
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Steve wrote:

can you not use a big rare-earth magnet and just pull it out?
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.