Grinder Motor

The 3 phase motor on my Jones and Shipman 310 went *puff* this morning and the room filled with smoke. Not good. How special are grinder motors? Some sources will tell you that they're precision balanced and a standard motor won't do. I'm always suspcious of such claims since it's an electric motor that drives through a long flat belt and sit's under a ton of grinder. Do I need a special motor or will a foot mounted motor do the job?

Thanks

Reply to
Charles Ping

morning

Charles,

They are definately balanced complete with flat pulley (holes in end of armature iirc) but how much difference it'll make I don't know. Why not have the puffed motor rewound. A rewind & new bearings will be much the same price as a new motor but you'll preserve the balance and it least know it'll fit.

If you are running quasi 3-phase I'd want to look closely why the smoke was let out - do you have a rather high wild phase perhaps on your converter?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Some guy was selling tins of smoke on eBay, so that you could top up whatever you let the smoke out of....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Not around here it won't. Rewind is £120 to £150, new motor is £60 to £80

Good point.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I had a 1/2 hp drier motor rewound last week @ £85 - Peak Ignition of Thornton Heath. They are a special in that they are a long shaft motor but otherwise a normal resilent mounted jobby.

Peak Ignition,

The Hall, Hythe Road,

Thornton Heath,

Surrey,

CR7 8QQ

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Good point. Voltages are 385-385-450 a bit high but IMHO not high enough.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles,

A daft thought I know but a voltage spike of 70 volts would to me induce an amount of imbalance in the motor and cause it to warm up. By the way how's the saw going.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Normally they only go down in the stator, so the armature balance wouldn't be affected on a rewind. A wound armature would be a bit unusual in a smallish motor.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

The saw is fine - I can heartily recommend a Kennedy hacksaw as a useful small saw.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Steve has noticed ..................

Yes Steve, but it was very special Joseph Lucas loom smoke! You don't get a lot of that for a pound these days.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome