Hardite info?

It's nice to keep things things in neat pigeon holes. Especially pigeons and the like!

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I guess it helps keep the guano in one place...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Guano-plus-charcoal would make a good case hardener for today's mild steels - guano contains nitrogen, charcoal contains carbon.

That's all that's needed - the case hardening process involves the dissolving of carbon and nitrogen in low carbon/nitrogen steel. The extra carbon and nitrogen make the outside layer of the steel harder (but more brittle and/or harder to machine - which is why steel isn't all sold that way in the first place).

Problem #2 is that that carbon and nitrogen form cyanide when they are in contact at highish temperature. That still happens, but if you don't use cyanide itself as a starting material, and take some simple precautions, there isn't really all that much danger - but note that if you do it recklessly, and without knowing what you are doing, you may die.

For eg the Japanese/Chinese swordmaker the precise control of the amount of carbon (and nitrogen) in the iron was problem #1 - but nowadays it's well known how to solve that.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Of course, Peter, guano is the basis for explosives! Wish that the bloody pigeons would go off pop but that forms another report.

I was heading off to the Sword Makers of Shotley Bridge and came across the German origin of one family. The English is Fox!

Err Cheers or whatever in German

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Is this stuff just graphite powder, or is it more complex than that? I don't think graphite powder would go off.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris, Most of us assume that the tin contains a mixture of ppotassium ferrocyanide and barium chloride. If this is correct, there was a case hardening compound( mixture) of this name and this was subsequently banned because of its poisonous nature. I linked it with the stuff that that was used to exterminate millions in Europe. I would have been on the list on more than one account!

In a few days time, you will be reminded of Holocaust Day. Correction-- I will

Most of us are here because of the sacrifice of others. Nazi Germany left three Red Cross workers in Norway.Has the penny dropped?

Norman- a Red Cross member, a member of the Goat and Compasses, Past my sell by date and infirm and pedant extraordinaire!

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Very enjoyable responses Norman, and with a bit of info that I can fathom too.

Good health! Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Interesting. So if you got a piece of mild steel cherry red, then dunked it in a tin of graphite powder, would that be an ineffective method of case hardening?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris. Frankly, I think that you are not reading the plot!

In the past few contributions, there has been mention of the old Japanese and the German/English swordmakers starting off with a lump of iron out of a beehive oven and folding carbon onto it like a Swiss Roll into tool steel. To all intents and purposes graphite is like diamond, a form of carbon. We seem to be going around in ever decreasing circles like the Ouzle Woozle Bird. If we really got technical, we could also find suitable carbon to remove to make room to accomodate it.

Sorry, but we are flogging a dead horse. Come to think of it, we could use it to case harden.

Who will say Nay( neigh)?

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I'm not sure I follow you, Norman. I was just asking if pure graphite powder would work for case hardening.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy