Have I missed the Midlands Show?

Don't need to. AIUI, this was a private development done as part of a hobby which was only subsequently floated under the "protection" (no protection for directors if negligent, BTW) of a company.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

So, even with the extra £800 cost of a stand, you can afford to sell these at £30 off, and still make a profit?

That seems to say something about the level of profits on a normal day, does it not?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Apparently not, when the guy can give £30 off despite having the extra overhead of £800 pounds for an exhibition. That alone seems to say something about the size of the mark-up.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I do indeed dispute your estimated cost, as you will realize if you read my reply to Andrew's post. You are out by more than a factor of two - and by that I very definately DON'T mean that I can build them for less than £25. I would be a very happy man if I could put one together for £50, but it just ain't so.

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You are a wanker - it's a pity your dad wasn't

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Stripboards or Veroboard is not a material that is used for any professional or even semi-professional production equipment, and I certainly wouldn't use it for anything but a breadboard lashup.

I don't know from where you get your strange ideas about production, but to assemble a strip board takes much longer than using a proprietary printed circuit board, and mistakes are far more likely as each stripboard has to be cut by hand, while a PCB is identical to the last and the next.

I suggest that you keep your ideas to whatever subjects you have some knowledge of, you pretty obviously don't know much about production electronics.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I wonder what mr Bean would make of this then!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

The degree of your maturity, or otherwise, is apparent from your habitual response, demonstrated here in your final comment.

Such boards are well used for small production runs. Only a fool will go to the expense of PCB when the circumstances do not dictate its necessity.

Do you yourself know anything about electronic production? Seemingly not, if your battery testers have to be sold for several thousand pounds.

professional or

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Mr.Bean does not use the Web.

If you wish to contribute to a debate, then do so. It is somewhat irrelevant to attempt to send your respondents off to do some reading.

As to debate, one other contributor raised the subject of advertising costs - there are no advertising costs in a product that is advertised for free by abusing a hobbyist newsgroup for cynical (yes, cynical, the goods are demonstrably overpriced) commercial use.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

How do you think your messages get to this NG then?

I just wondered why you picked on the division master in your rant about profits. The link I posted was to an 8 ft length of 2 core speaker cable that sells at $23,000

Ian

Reply to
Ian

The messages get to the NG by the same mechanism that they have got there for the last 10 years, since the days before the Web existed, the NNTP protocol. Your apparent perception of the Internet as the Web would suggest that you are either ignorant, or a newcomer, or both. I use NNTP, SMTP (and latterly POP) and on rare occasions FTP. It is some years since I have Telnetted.

If you read Web pages such as you cite then, yes, my critique of excess profits would seem like a rant to you, and Mr.Jeffery will be rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect of getting your money.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

You know, I thought we had a 'contributor' around here, can't remember his name, used to post all sorts of funny things and rants, must have given up and gone to the knitting circle... glad that's sorted out, now we can get on with more interesting things without him.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

What an odd reply. Was it intended to support or refute an assertion about maturity?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

However, since you chose to prolong the thread, let's recap....

Mr.Jeffrey chose a public forum to initiate a discussion about his prices and profits. The conclusion so far is, that taken with his ability to reduce the price by £30 EVEN THOUGH HE HAS THE EXTRA £800, OR SO, COST OF ATTENDING AN EXHIBITION, that normally his prices are too high and could therefore be reduced by £50 or more.

Mr.Jeffrey, in a frank and ingenuous exposition, contributed to the discussion that his mark-up is 150% which is gross under any circumstances. Profit margins on goods are usually less than 100%, and so there would seem to be scope for a reduction of £80 or thereabouts on normal, non-exhibition days.

Perhaps there is a moral here, and that is not to use a hobby NG for commercial advertising?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in

Profit is the product of margin and volume. If in a traders estimation this product can be increased by reducing price and hopefuly increasing volume then he should do so.

I have two veiws of "value", one is how much I want something.. in this case it would be how useful I think one would be for me. The other is how much it would cost me to build one.

In this case I don't think I have much use for a DivisionMaster controller, so it is not of great value to me.... However, looking at it I don't think I could cover the cost of my time at the minimum wage rate if I tried to make an equivelent and I would not have marketing and other costs to add, so I must conclude that it's good value.

It is legitimate to try to maximise your income from what you do.... and if you can sell at a big mark up thats nice.... but it should make it easy for someone else to under cut you.

If Mr Bean thinks the profit is too high, why does he not produce a compeating product ?

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

[...]

Please stop feeding the troll. ta

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Did you or did you not, some time ago and in a previous sock-puppet incarnation, state the fact of your directorship and the name of your company together with full address and telephone number, in a hobby newsgroup, in your sig file?

Reply to
RVMJ

In article , Roland and Celia Craven writes

Seconded. He's changed ID again, and (temporarily) escaped from my kill-file, but those that quote him do no favours.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton