Midlands Show

If anyone is going to the show Friday please tell us what we can look forward to

Reply to
Bill

Don't tempt me..... --

Chris Edwards

Well I think I saw.............................

Reply to
John Stevenson

I'll be there from about 11:30 onwards (got to collect some straight edges from Wellingborough first). IIRC St John the Defame will be providing the voice of experience to the ArcEurotrade stand.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

..................... the knights in armor coming Sayin' something about a queen There were peasants singin' and drummers drumming And the archer split the tree There was a fanfare blowin' to the sun That floated on the breeze Look at mother nature on the run in the nineteen seventies Look at mother nature on the run in the nineteen seventies

Apologies to Neil Young and of course Prelude (best version), it just happened to be playing when I read the post. If you haven't heard After the Goldrush you need to.

Enjoy the show

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Good audio vocal on YouTube:

There's also a black and white video taken off the TV but crap picture and sound.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

My 11 yr old daughter can sing along to that, together with Ventura Highway, and numerous other songs from the late 60's and the 70's.

Sadly, she also sings the modern stuff too.....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter, thanks I hadn't seen that black and white video. You can see why they didn't last through the 80's and 90's - all she had was a superb voice and an equally good song. Didn't half make me feel old though I can remember dressing like those two guys and I also had a waistline and could get into "loons" as well. Shows how successful we were in changing the world though when sadly the recent lyrics have had to be changed from "nineteen seventies" to "twenty first century". Guess little changes really.

regards

(Old) Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Peter hi, my son who is now 21 has had a real passion for music since he was the same age as your daughter. He was forever coming to tell me about a great NEW song that had been issued by some crap band or other. He couldn't believe how often I could finish the song after his introduction as most were covers of earlier "classics".

He now has a far better knowledge of the 60's and 70's music than I do, but my excuse is that I DID live through the period so am excused remembering it all. He delights in now playing something "modern" for me to show that they can still write good songs. He hasn't grasped yet that music is emotional and is powerful because you can remember what you were doing when you first heard it - that comes with age I suppose. I have to admit that some of the most recent singer/ songwriter offerings are fairly good but don't tell him I told you so.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Just got back - apart from the pleasant banter with the usual suspects and the one or two terribly useful items that seemed to follow me home, there wasn't a lot to recommend the show IMHO. Confirmed my view that Harrogate is the only show that is worth going to.

One item of passing interest on the RDG stand though - looks like you can now by imported clones of the George Thomas dividing head - clomplete with all the toys, including Myford nose and micro dividing attachment - for a couple of hundred notes.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I always thought that the GH Thomas dividing head was one of those items you loving built over 35 years like a Quorn just as a conversation piece and not to be used.

Takes away the magic if you get shell 200 rupees out for a Himalayan clone.

I thing I have noticed from the show and I mean to get some pic's tomorrow is the lack of model content at the show.

There are two large tables, one in each hall that have more empty space than full, say 75% to 25% In previous years these tables have been full. Is this a sign that there are just too many shows about to support the hobby ?

Answers on the back of a £20 note hand delivered to either the Arc stand or the bar of the White Hart at Ufton

Reply to
John Stevenson

Maybe it's a sign that I wasn't the only one to be seriously underwhelmed by last year's show?

I sadly didn't make it to Harrogate this year, but still had no burning desire to make the trek to the outer reaches of Leamington or wherever. That despite having found it was quite a viable day out from here on the train, I don't think that would be true for Harrogate.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

The show ground is within 3/4mile of the Grand Union canal. Should be an easy journey :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Tony and anyone else who has already been, Chris did you make it? Whilst unable to make any of the first few days it looks like I could possibly manage a few hours on the last day. I must say, as I don't really "need" to buy anything and with a distinct lack of enthusiastic posts on here and other forum perhaps I should just have a lie in? Any thoughts or comments, is there really something I should see? We haven't even had a recommendation for the sausage butties this year - yet. It's a two hour drive each way and I don't want to see just the typical Bristol items again.

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Sadly, no I didn't make Leamington this year, first miss for a while. Only thing I made yesterday was wet pants when England was 8-9 down at seventy minutes - I'm looking for a nunnery without TV to survive next week-end.

--

Chris Edwards

Thanks Chris, I think I will take the relaxation rather than the battle with the M42 this year. Might even get my heart rate down a bit from last night. Alison as always had a good idea that it was not the evening to talk about gardens etc and disappeared to watch (something exciting??) on another TV. She did time the cup of tea at half time superbly but for some reason didn't stop to discuss the game! She has already told me that she is going out next Saturday evening so I will need to get the beer in myself - what a life!

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

As John S has said. Model wise, it was very light. Plenty of models in steam outside, as has become traditional, but very little inside.

I went for two part days, but then I only live down the road from there.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Perhaps people are concerned over security as models are in what is at best a very large tent?

Having said that my Foden is in it and I feel comfortable about the security arrangements, but others may be more cautious.

A couple of guys had driven down from Scotland to display their locos ...... so the show has some attraction to prompt people to travel.

I think perhaps we can be too critical as I can remember comments being said about previous shows having all the same model content as last year. So if you take those out that have been previously shown very little would be left as most models take years to complete so the influx of new models is unlikely to overtake previously shown stuff. So perhaps it was just a year where coincidently quite a few people who had supported the show with models for a number of years decided against it this year?

What about more club stands? Can more Midland clubs be encouraged to attend?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall