Midlands Show

Well, I enjoyed it. Popped up for a couple of hours today. I was going to call in to see one of our tame cynical traders, and blag a cup of tea, but I'd left my Mastercard at home. More importantly, I'd also left his phone number, so I couldn't check if he was at home, or out oppressing the masses.

Anyway, good show I thought. Not too busy, plenty of models on display including a *huge* (6"?) traction engine and several 10 1/4" locos. Bugger, but they're big.

Bumped into Tony Jeffree and had a brief chat. He was busy with punters, so I left him to it. He was quite amused to hear his "fan club" had been by, but hadn't had the guts to introduce himself.

Bought a few bits and bobs, including a nice little set of castings, materials and drawings for a little oscillating twin from Blackgates. Not bad at thirty three quid, and should give me a little side project to play with when I fancy a change.

I had a longish chat with a bloke punting a small CNC mill. I'm really starting to think I'm going to get one. His setup came out at three grand-ish. Nice little thing though. More research (and saving!) called for, I feel.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

It was not a question of guts, but of elementary politeness.

The person I took to be Mr.Jeffrey didn't introduce himself, and so I didn't either. He spoke first and was obviously interested in my money, but not in who I was.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:16:00 +0100, "Airy R. Bean" in a fit of verbal diarera wrote the following gems of wisdom, or in his case, something else as it can't be wisdom because he's had his wisdom teeth out:

No need, the person you spoke to 'knew' who you was, after all not that many people walk round with a halo round their arse do they.

See you on Wednesday Gareth ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

In message , Nigel Eaton wrote

Went yesterday to have a look round, besides it was somewhere different to take the ageing parents for a couple of hours.

Some of the models were superb, especially the RR Eagle engine in the case and the New York Central loco, father and I were saying it would be interesting to see a "Big Boy" to the same scale.

Another nice thing to see and show the parents was the Stirling engined launch which had been on the TV a few weeks ago.

I just wish I got better weather, last year it was chucking it down when we went, this time it was cold, grey and blowing half a gale.

Unfortunately mother started to act up and we had to leave early as I would have liked to have taken longer to study everything.

Reply to
Roger Smith

Obviously you have trouble reading, as whenever I saw anybody on the Division master stand, they were wearing a name badge. As was most other stallholders at the show, for that matter. Surely that would have given you a small clue as to who you were talking to???

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply. Website:-

Anthony Britt

[snip[

I too spent some enjoyable hours on Sunday at the show. Had a pleasant chat with Tony Jeffree too - the topic of this group "cropped-up", with amusement! If I'd the money at the time, I'd have bought from him, but as I said, "hopefully" in a while it may be possible.

I was impressed (= green with envy!) by the Nord 10 1/4" Pacific, and was tickled by its "Makers'" plate - a nice touch that, although present on both cab and tender side, wasn't noticed by many - "Simkins, Pere et Fils, Leics, 1995". How I'd love to have that loco, but it couldn't even turn a quarter of a circle in our garden! Heaven knows what it cost.....

Dave. BSMEE.

Reply to
speedy2

Ahh but don't forget that Bean is used to being recognised personally in shops he frequents regularly. The Mental Health Assistant with the big bunch of keys on his belt, accompanying him usually gives the game away.

If he's out on his own, in "care in the community" shop owners whisper "Shit - it's that lunatic Gareth again" as he enters, then "Good Morning Gareth - How may I assist you?" - All just to get rid of the idiot because he's bad for business and scares other shoppers away.

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore