Havn't seen anything like this for a while....

In article , Peter A Forbes writes

I keep thinking I need a shot blasting cabinet in my life. Was this place cheap, and are you prepared to name them?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

How practical is it to make one?

Reply to
Jules

I've seen reasonable small work done in a cardboard box with a polythene window!

--

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) "There *must* be an easier way!"

Reply to
Chris Edwards

The people we bought the crane from and the sandblaster cabinets page are here:

Watch that line doesn't break into two.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I find that typical. Almost everything I buy these days needs re-work to actually get it to work. A bog syphon I got recently was assembled wrongly, 'cept it was impossible to assemble it correctly till the moulding had been filed to give some clearance. A small battery charger for AA size NiCads wouldn't work, and on investigation I realised the contacts weren't proud of the plastic moulding. I was looking for a new waxed cotton coat and was saddened to find a £200 Barbour was the same thickness as the £25 Chinese effort beside it - there's more life left in the 40 year old Belstaff I still use...

The list goes on and on and in all fairness it doesn't seem to matter whether it says made in China or anywhere else. We seem to be weighted under a pan-global layer of utter crap. I don't mind paying the extra to have a 'Good One' but I very rarely seem able to find one.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.org/members/dieselhttp://www.stationary-engine.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.co.uk

had my 30 ton press off them ..good kit

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

er...I hesitate to ask this...but exactly what do you expect for 7 quid??

That is less than a third of what you would pay Hemmingway for a kit of castings to make a vice - see:

There seems to be a massive case of unrealistic expectations here.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Peter A Forbes writes

Thanks Peter, I shall have a rummage.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

yup, you're bang on the mark Tony ..

BUT...it wasn't my expectations ..but his ..

for =A36.99.......he was being cheap ..

still ...i owed the guy three hours work anyway ..

i was just trying to bring up an example ..BTW it wasn't a machine vice it was a drill press vice .

it's now a very accurate drill press vice ..lol

but you get what you pay for......

and you may as well pay more and get better ..

but would you have got better ?...thats the question mark hanging over it

all the drill press vices i have are spot on ..and never needed grinding...they weren't bought off ebay though.

seems there are some people on ebay ..selling the rejects by the looks of things.

so its buyer beware .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

I know a guy that recently bought an "ex demo" 4x6 bandsaw from a well known UK company for £100, it came with both V belt pulleys facing the same way and a few other issues. Must have been a Monday or Friday job. I had mentioned to him that the one I got from Machinemart some years back, 11 - 12?, had some issues but for the money has been worked hard and still going, with a new worm and wheel, bearings and motor. He is a ex machinist so wasn't phased by the problems and was well satisfied with it for the price.

Reply to
David Billington

In article , mark writes

I think "you don't get what you don't pay for" is more generally true.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Maybe when they are building for, or are a subsidiary of, a Japanese company. There's a lot of crap made in China by Chinese companies. The trouble is, some of us are only too willing to buy it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Easy - BTDT

But Nigel's only 15 minutes down the road from me if he needs to use one

I think he's more interested in buying a new toy

Reply to
geoff

I bought one of the small ones that looks like the one on the right about a year ago, IIRC about £60 off ebay. For the price I couldn't be bothered to make one and it works fairly well although the shallow catch base is a bit too shallow and the area around the pickup can run out of grit. I'm likely to fold up a deeper base soon and add legs so it's not sitting on a workmate type thing. I have seen similar sized ones made from clear plastic storage boxes. My larger blasting booth is in the process of size reduction from 8' x 4' x 3' to 4' x 4' x 3', it's collapsable so doesn't take up much space when not in use.

Reply to
David Billington

Hmm. I've got an air compressor on the way, you see... and it might be fun to rig up some sort of shot/grit/sand blasting cabinet :-)

Reply to
Jules

Is it a hobby compressor or a bit more serious - sandblasting will give it a good workout

Mine is based on a single drainer sink unit in a speaker cabinet

The blast gun came from machine mart, its worth going th extra mile and getting a hardened nozzle

If you're interested I can give you a supplier for glass beads

Reply to
geoff

I'd be interested in a glass bead supplier. Have been meaning to get some, possibly from Machinemart, but if you know a better supplier that would be useful info.

Reply to
David Billington

Machinemart ?

don't be silly - a small tub for a lot of wanga

email me at snipped-for-privacy@cetltd.com

Reply to
geoff

That was exactly my point. Some stuff is certainly better than other, but it seems not to be particularly related to the price, more matter of chance.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

Never actually used these people but have seen them at Classic Bike shows with a range of abrasives and kits for the home workshop, so worth a try.

Jet Fitter