Havn't seen anything like this for a while....

wrote:

Just to give you guys the idea
my 14 cfm comp ..with 200 ltr reciever is just capable of blasting .
that's about 3-4 mins...90 psi......then youre down to 60 psi which isnt good enough.......then wait a min for the comp to catch up...im in no rush ..so it does me.
the machine mart nozzles for their gun do about 2-3 hours blasting before they wear out..they cost about 6 each..
ive heard that you can use hydraulic coupling nipples as blast nozzles ..
On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:18:23 -0700, mark wrote:

Thanks for that - nice to have some useful data. We'll see if the one I'm picking up will cope with it - cfm figures seem to be typically around 6 for new 30gal compressors.
As with you I'm not bothered about a bit of waiting between uses, but time will tell whether it works at all, I suppose. I'm only paying $75 (40 pounds or so) for it with hardly any hours on it, so I can't complain - I just thought it might be fun if it might handle a bit of blasting too :-)

Hmm, interesting. I think I've got a few hydraulic odds and ends kicking around in the junk pile...
cheers
Jules
In message

Which is why I said to go for the hardened ones
... which last a couple of months heavy use (2-3 hours / day)
--
geoff

As far as i was concerned Geoff, they were ..so called hardened ones sold to me by machine mart ..and was talking about 2-3 hours use over months .
which reminds now we are on the subject of cheapo chinese stuff.
....if you have one of those Aldi 9 inch angle grinders .......put a bit of grease on the face of the nut that holds the wheels on ...... i always tightened mine by hand, not using the spanner .......even so ...the wheel yesterday ended up so tight ..........that when i attempted to take it off .....the (very thin) alloy housing that surrounds the locking plunger broke away.........making the plunger mechanism inoperative forever ..unfixable.............meaning that i had to strip the machine to get the debris out ..to do this, I had to break the cutting disk off.........put the crown wheel in a three jaw chuck and undo the nut with a large stiltsen...........at a later date i will have to grind two flats on the spindle ...so i can get a spanner on it . .So grease that nut ...or modify it by undercutting it...if you don't want a broken machine .......of course mine may have been a one off ..but id like you chaps not to go down the same road ....seams like a good machine ....otherwise ...needle rollers for the bearings etc.
oh, and keep the guarantee and receipt handy ....doh..i had lost mine.
all the best.markj
On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:25:39 -0700, mark wrote:

That happened to a cheap one I used to have back in England, too. It spent a good two years with me jamming a piece of steel rod into the hole in the carcass to wedge the spindle whenever I needed to change discs.
The current one I have over here is a bit better - it locks from the side rather than the top, which should stress the components a lot less (although in a piece of stellar design, the power switch and lock switch look very similar :-)
cheers
Jules
In message

So you have to appreciate that this is an abrasive process, and the nozzles are consumables
--
geoff

In article

That's your mistake. Tighten it properly with the provided spanner and it will undo easily. Leave it loose - ie hand tight - and it will self tighten and be difficult to undo.
I bought a Lidl 9" grinder for just the one job where I'd have had to hire. Did the job perfectly and still works fine. For less than the cost of a hire.
--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Hand tightening is gripping the edge of the disc and pulling up tight .....who said anything about loose...............just not overtightened ..that's the point i was trying to make .
done it like that for years with other grinders .......not had a disk that was impossible to take off before in hundreds..just one of those things that may happen to all of us.
so your angle grinder did one job perfectly ..........ok that's fine !
follow my points and it will do many more with a bit of luck, just trying to help :)
OH...remember to keep hold of that guarantee ..it's a three year one.
All the best.markj

Reminds me of my plunge router that won't plunge (thanks, B&Q... although it did come with 2 sets of routing bits by accident so that's a pound saved)

The people we bought the crane from and the sandblaster cabinets page are here:
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/KMS-DISTRIBUTIONS-LTD_SandBlasters_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_fsubZ11195387QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ71593093QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
Watch that line doesn't break into two.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

had my 30 ton press off them ..good kit
all the best.markj

Thanks Peter, I shall have a rummage.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are an X3 mill, a
Nigel Eaton wrote:

I bought one of the small ones that looks like the one on the right about a year ago, IIRC about 60 off ebay. For the price I couldn't be bothered to make one and it works fairly well although the shallow catch base is a bit too shallow and the area around the pickup can run out of grit. I'm likely to fold up a deeper base soon and add legs so it's not sitting on a workmate type thing. I have seen similar sized ones made from clear plastic storage boxes. My larger blasting booth is in the process of size reduction from 8' x 4' x 3' to 4' x 4' x 3', it's collapsable so doesn't take up much space when not in use.

You're likely buying a number of Chinese made things without knowing it - just because it says 'made in Germany' etc means not a lot in practice.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

I bet you've bought loads that wasn't marked as made in China but had many if not all of it's components made there and assembled somewhere you have a higher opinion of though.
China has a wonderful attitude, you can have almost any price or quality you want and they'll happily manufacture it for you.
It's not *really* their fault that Western companies buy cheap tat and slap huge profit margins on it or cheap westerners buy the tat and expect miracles from it.
--
Clint Sharp

Clint Sharp coughed up some electrons that declared:

That is pretty much the sum of it.
China will make you wonderful multilayer PCBs, gold plated, the full monty (who do you think makes the hideously complicated PCBs for computer motherboards)?
They will also happily make you crap PCBs out of recycled bog rolls for your 4.99 Argos radio.
You choose.
I agree with the sentiments that it's in essence our fault. The market is flooded with choices of cheap crap that barely works, fairly cheap crap that works for a while and excellent stuff that lasts quite well. Very occasionally cheap stuff that lasts forever.
The fact that many people would rather buy 3 cheap items than one expensive item that lasts 3 times as long isn't the fault of the manufacturer.

Like those screwdriver sets you see in fancy-goods stores. Made of metal with similar properties as cream cheese.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Well you bought one <G>
Cliff Coggin.
Cliff Coggin wrote:

I think that is what drives the market. I've bought cheap Chinese made tools or other products only to realise that many of them were crap. However, they've got my money by then :-(
The net result is that I look for the "Made in China" warning label and try to avoid repeating the same mistake. I'm not saying all Chinese products are rubbish, just enough of them are to make me very wary about knowingly buying any more of them.
The worst Chinese product I bought was a garden marquee. It only survived 24 hours. A heavy shower of rain wet the canopy which made it sag which then collected more water which made it sag all the more until finally the whole structure collapsed into a pile of twisted tubing. All in the space of around 10 minutes. It was a complete write-off. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went outside after the shower and saw the crumpled wreck. In retrospect it was easy to see why the product was useless - the steel tubing was way too thin to have any significant structural value. As far as I'm concerned it wasn't fit for purpose - as seems to be the case with any number of Chinese products.
--
David in Normandy.

David in Normandy wrote:

To be fair that's less because it was made in china, than *why* it was made in china..
I.e. a fairly usual game is to take a sum of money, spend 50% on getting a bunch of ,marketing going, then some idiot takes a sketch to China as says 'can you do this for $10' and they say 'yes, if you don't mind it collapsing when it rains' and they say 'not at all' ..
I met the guys behind some early alcopops once... 2p of grain alcohol, 1p of flavoring 3p of packaging, 30 p of tax and 35p of TV marketing and then sell it for a quid.