Havn't seen anything like this for a while....

Hmm, 30gal tank, 2HP motor and rated at 135psi max - I'm not sure of cfm figures yet. I'm guessing it's more 'small workshop' than 'hobby', but I've no idea if that's enough grunt for blasting....

Urgh, those folks have been spamming me for several years, even though I never bought anything from them (and efforts to tell them to stop worked for a while and then they seemed to find me again) :-(

Afraid I'm on the wrong side of the Pond these days :) Assuming the compressor's up to the job though there are a few engineering places in the nearby town, so I'll ask around and see if I can source from them or find out who their suppliers are...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Just to give you guys the idea

my 14 cfm comp ..with 200 ltr reciever is just capable of blasting .

that's about 3-4 mins...90 psi......then youre down to 60 psi which isnt good enough.......then wait a min for the comp to catch up...im in no rush ..so it does me.

the machine mart nozzles for their gun do about 2-3 hours blasting before they wear out..they cost about =A36 each..

ive heard that you can use hydraulic coupling nipples as blast nozzles ..

mark

Thanks for that - nice to have some useful data. We'll see if the one I'm picking up will cope with it - cfm figures seem to be typically around

6 for new 30gal compressors.

As with you I'm not bothered about a bit of waiting between uses, but time will tell whether it works at all, I suppose. I'm only paying $75 (40 pounds or so) for it with hardly any hours on it, so I can't complain - I just thought it might be fun if it might handle a bit of blasting too :-)

Hmm, interesting. I think I've got a few hydraulic odds and ends kicking around in the junk pile...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Nah, if it doesn't work, they expect user to dismantle and replace brushes, thereby invalidating the guarantee. No complaints about the stuff I buy from Aldi, at a tenner for a small angle grinder and three years guarantee' If it fails I just ship it back to them and get another. If they really wanted to help, then a spare pair of bevel gears would be much more useful.

I can find plenty of uses for the geared motor from a cordless with knackered batteries. One of them opens and closes a half ton sliding door for me, helped by the worm gearbox from a knackered Belle concrete mixer.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

In message , mark writes

Which is why I said to go for the hardened ones

... which last a couple of months heavy use (2-3 hours / day)

Reply to
geoff

As far as i was concerned Geoff, they were ..so called hardened ones sold to me by machine mart ..and was talking about 2-3 hours use over months .

which reminds now we are on the subject of cheapo chinese stuff.

....if you have one of those Aldi 9 inch angle grinders .......put a bit of grease on the face of the nut that holds the wheels on ...... i always tightened mine by hand, not using the spanner .......even so ...the wheel yesterday ended up so tight ..........that when i attempted to take it off .....the (very thin) alloy housing that surrounds the locking plunger broke away.........making the plunger mechanism inoperative forever ..unfixable.............meaning that i had to strip the machine to get the debris out ..to do this, I had to break the cutting disk off.........put the crown wheel in a three jaw chuck and undo the nut with a large stiltsen...........at a later date i will have to grind two flats on the spindle ...so i can get a spanner on it . .So grease that nut ...or modify it by undercutting it...if you don't want a broken machine .......of course mine may have been a one off ..but id like you chaps not to go down the same road ....seams like a good machine ....otherwise ...needle rollers for the bearings etc.

oh, and keep the guarantee and receipt handy ....doh..i had lost mine.

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

That happened to a cheap one I used to have back in England, too. It spent a good two years with me jamming a piece of steel rod into the hole in the carcass to wedge the spindle whenever I needed to change discs.

The current one I have over here is a bit better - it locks from the side rather than the top, which should stress the components a lot less (although in a piece of stellar design, the power switch and lock switch look very similar :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

So you have to appreciate that this is an abrasive process, and the nozzles are consumables

Reply to
geoff

That's your mistake. Tighten it properly with the provided spanner and it will undo easily. Leave it loose - ie hand tight - and it will self tighten and be difficult to undo.

I bought a Lidl 9" grinder for just the one job where I'd have had to hire. Did the job perfectly and still works fine. For less than the cost of a hire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Hand tightening is gripping the edge of the disc and pulling up tight .....who said anything about loose...............just not overtightened ..that's the point i was trying to make .

done it like that for years with other grinders .......not had a disk that was impossible to take off before in hundreds..just one of those things that may happen to all of us.

so your angle grinder did one job perfectly ..........ok that's fine !

follow my points and it will do many more with a bit of luck, just trying to help :)

OH...remember to keep hold of that guarantee ..it's a three year one.

All the best.markj

Reply to
mark

=A0 =A0 London SW

Reminds me of my plunge router that won't plunge (thanks, B&Q... although it did come with 2 sets of routing bits by accident so that's a pound saved)

Reply to
Robin