Havn't seen anything like this for a while....

I was told this once - I assume it's true:
A UK clothing retailer took some samples of hand-made prototype white cotton
shirts to a Chinese factory as examples of what they wanted manufactured in bulk. The Chinese would unstitch the hand-made samples and make the necessary patterns/machinery etc. required. Each of the original samples had some holes punched out - the retailer wanted to retain material samples from the originals. Guess what? Yep, the Chinese manufactured thousands of shirts which also had sample holes punched out.
--
paulwilliams

Only very indirectly as the rest of the job lot was fine. But someone actually decided they could manufacture and sell the rubbish to someone. I really don't believe it all came from the same place.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "newshound"

They're not fake - they're just shit.

A friend of mine bought one those cheap drill press vices off ebay 6.99
it came ....he said it rocked on his table ..
so, sent it back at his expence ...
and received a few days latter a replacement vice that also rocked on his table
he';s helped me do a few things in the past .. so i said i would plonk it on my surface grinder and sought it out ..
so I thought ...use the the top ways a reference and grind the bottom
the effing top faces were just as rocky as the bottom ..rocked on the parallels..2mm out took me blinking three hours to sort the thing..now that's what i call crap.
I should have just chucked it away.
all the best.markj
<>

<>
I find that typical. Almost everything I buy these days needs re-work to actually get it to work. A bog syphon I got recently was assembled wrongly, 'cept it was impossible to assemble it correctly till the moulding had been filed to give some clearance. A small battery charger for AA size NiCads wouldn't work, and on investigation I realised the contacts weren't proud of the plastic moulding. I was looking for a new waxed cotton coat and was saddened to find a 200 Barbour was the same thickness as the 25 Chinese effort beside it - there's more life left in the 40 year old Belstaff I still use...
The list goes on and on and in all fairness it doesn't seem to matter whether it says made in China or anywhere else. We seem to be weighted under a pan-global layer of utter crap. I don't mind paying the extra to have a 'Good One' but I very rarely seem able to find one. </rant>
Richard
On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:01:23 -0700 (PDT), mark

er...I hesitate to ask this...but exactly what do you expect for 7 quid??
That is less than a third of what you would pay Hemmingway for a kit of castings to make a vice - see:
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Machine_Vices.html
There seems to be a massive case of unrealistic expectations here.
Regards, Tony

yup, you're bang on the mark Tony ..
BUT...it wasn't my expectations ..but his ..
for 6.99.......he was being cheap ..
still ...i owed the guy three hours work anyway ..
i was just trying to bring up an example ..BTW it wasn't a machine vice it was a drill press vice .
it's now a very accurate drill press vice ..lol
but you get what you pay for......
and you may as well pay more and get better ..
but would you have got better ?...thats the question mark hanging over it
all the drill press vices i have are spot on ..and never needed grinding...they weren't bought off ebay though.
seems there are some people on ebay ..selling the rejects by the looks of things.
so its buyer beware .
all the best.markj
mark wrote:

I know a guy that recently bought an "ex demo" 4x6 bandsaw from a well known UK company for 100, it came with both V belt pulleys facing the same way and a few other issues. Must have been a Monday or Friday job. I had mentioned to him that the one I got from Machinemart some years back, 11 - 12?, had some issues but for the money has been worked hard and still going, with a new worm and wheel, bearings and motor. He is a ex machinist so wasn't phased by the problems and was well satisfied with it for the price.
In article

I think "you don't get what you don't pay for" is more generally true.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Mon, 11 May 2009 14:05:52 +0100, David Littlewood

That was exactly my point. Some stuff is certainly better than other, but it seems not to be particularly related to the price, more matter of chance.
Richard
Never actually used these people but have seen them at Classic Bike shows with a range of abrasives and kits for the home workshop, so worth a try.
http://www.angloscotabrasives.co.uk /