Help with Marcher

Hi all

I've lurked here for quite a while, posted very rarely and am something of a newbie to metal-working. I've completed one project - Alpha to NER's articles in EiM and have embarked on my second, John Bertinat's Marcher from ME. While most things seem reasonably clear from the articles on Marcher and Borderer, I've got a couple of questions relating to the steam passages and port faces on the cylinder block.

First - The plans appear to show 2 parallel drillings at each end of each cylinder to each inlet port. However no drill size is specified AFAICS. From the drawing it looks about 1/16 inch but does anyone know if that's correct.

Second - the steam ports. Bertinat suggests cutting all 3 at once with a specially made gang-milling tool. That looks a great idea except that making the cutter is beyond me. The inlet ports are specified as

3/64 x 3/16. 3/64 inch is slightly more than 1mm so I wondered if I could cut them with a 1mm slot drill instead. The snag AFAICS is that the ends of the ports would be radiused rather than square thus losing a small amount of area. Is this going to be a problem? Otherwise is there another solution that doesn't involve making tools? I can see that I could make 2 cutters, 1 for the inlet and one for the exhaust. I might manage that I suppose, though I've not tried hardening and tempering SS before.

Any advice would be appreciated on these or any other aspects of building this engine.

Cheers

Guy

Reply to
Guy Morgan

I've not built the Marcher, but have done the Borderer, so dimensions taken from that.

5/64ths

Don't need to get so complicated, just a 1mm end mill or slot drill will do. The rounded ends shouldn't matter, a few minutes with a swiss file will square them if you like to.

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

In message , Steve Blackmore writes

Thanks Steve. Given that Borderer is a bigger engine that suggests that 1/16 for Marcher would be about right then I guess.

That's what I hoped someone would say! I just wasn't sure whether the loss of port area would be a problem. I'd certainly prefer to avoid making cutters if I can.

Cheers

Guy

Reply to
Guy Morgan

Sounds like it.

BTW - mine runs happily on just 7psi air, but needs 10 to start/reverse reliably. I've also built the pump, next comes a boiler.

There's a picture of mine at

-- Steve Blackmore

Reply to
Steve Blackmore