Hobbymat chuck

Sorry if this is a numpty question but we all have to start somewhere! I have just got a 2nd hand 4 jaw chuck for my MD65. At present the lathe has it's original 3 jaw fitted by what appears to be 3 bolts/spring washers on the rear. New item is bolted through the main body in 4 places to a backplate. Backplate then has 3 tapped holes at 120 degrees .

Question...do I just undo the 3 bolts and fit the 4 jaw with the same fixings ?or is it not just as simple as that? Many thanks

Reply to
Clive Dive

if the spindle is the same as a mini-lathe[which i think are chea

copies of the hobbymat] it has a large flange at the headstock end. yo should just undo the 3 bolts and replace it with the other chuck.

it makes for easier fitting if you put 3 studs into the holes on you new back plate. then fit the chuck and secure with nuts and washers. i is far easier to run nuts on and off than trying to line bolt holes up

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

right then!, that is tomorrow night spoken for...many thanks

Reply to
Clive Dive

i am sure that the cheap chinese minilathes are copies of the hobbymat.

think the hobbymat was made in germany and is of far better quality.als

has info.

try

it gives loads of info on the chinese stuff which should be applicaple to your hobbymat

-- bolma

this thread:

bolmas

In message , bolmas writes

On lathes I have used with a flange mounting, an even quicker arrangement was used. The holes in the flange are keyhole shaped so that the nut will pass right through the flange. The chuck is mounted with a bayonet fitting push and twist movement, and then locked with half a turn or so on the nuts.

Reply to
Charles

Job done. Many thanks for the info. Chuck was held on by 3 M6 studs, so I just fitted 3 new studs to the 4 jaw. The flange actually had 3 holes set at 2 different pitch diameters. Nice advantage, which I had not considered before, I can now turn bigger pieces. I only use it for turning metal into swarf [all types, no predjudice here!...brass, bronze, steel , Delrin etc etc etc] I know it's not on a par with the big boys, but all my cash goes on the diving equipment and this just helps when , being a cheapskate, making some of the bits.

Reply to
Clive Dive