How to make allthread studding?

How is threaded rod made? Is there a way to make it with eg an ordinary lathe? I need some small (m1 to m3) threaded rod in inconel.

Google seems to have gone mad, I googled "coventry die head" and got a picture of John McClane ..

-- Peter Fairbrother (bandsaw motor still running, fingers crossed)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Threaded rod (all-thread) is made by roll forming. You could probably make it by using a tailstock die holder in a lathe to get a regular die started dead square, then carry on by hand. Once it?s started straight a decent die will keep going pretty well.

If there?s going to be any significant axial load, remember that roll-formed all-thread is stronger than a die-cut thread because of the different ways that the two methods deform the grain structure of the metal.

Reply to
Norman Billingham