Inverter went BANG

A friend has a Mitsubishi S520E inverter on his lathe. When he switched it on the other day it went BANG and now (unsurprisingly) no longer works.
Is there a fuse or something that can be replaced relatively easily, or is it unrepairable?
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)
"lemel_man" wrote in message

Input diodes, main reservoir capacitors and or output mosfets or their equivalent I would say in that order however if an input diode goes short circuit it usually takes the capacitor(s) as well.
AWEM
I had the same symptoms with a Siemens VFD but in my case I was able to repair it easily.
A 'Varistor' (or whatever surge protective device it is) was wired across the incoming supply and had shorted and burned before blowing the fuse. Since there were two other identical devices (to cater for 3 phase input) I was able to replace the failed one. It still leaves me a spare because I will never have 3 phase input.
Ian

On 13/02/2012 10:15, Ian P wrote:

If the Varistors have gone then it may have talen out the PCB tracks too in which case it's a bin job. Was the drive overheating? Normally they last for ever in an application like yours where the duty factor is light.
Can you see what's blown up? I'm an ex drives designer and may be able to help.
Rob.
Rob
I was fortunate with my Siemens drive in that the tracks were not damaged. On another power board there was quite a bit of metal/carbon coating deposited by the exploding varistor. I dremelled clearance gaps and then varnished the area.
I know the manufacturer would have scrapped the drive so I had nothing to lose with my 'bodge' repair. On the other hand, I have a large brushless servo motor and drive that blew its fuse (appeared to be caused by the DC bus or a capacitor shorting) Its cleared itself now still does not work. I'm loathe to write it off but the cost of repairs seems to be geared to what companies will pay to keep a machine running rather than to what the repair would actually cost.
Ian

On 13/02/2012 19:47, Ian P wrote:

When you power it up does it not go bang now? Are you able to tell if the DC link has any volts on it. If the input fuses have gone then it's normally the IGBT bridge that has gone pop. Input rectifiers don't normally fail unless you have been single phasing a three phase drive. If you over do a three phase drive on single phase then you will shag either or both the DC link cans or the recitifer. On drives i've done the processor looks at the amount of DC link rippe to determine of there is a phase lost whereupon it will issue a "phase trip" and disable the output.
Normally what happens is the IGBT bridge goes, which then normally takes out the gate drive eletronics. If that happens then it *really* is not worth mending.
Drive manus normally only repair anything over 20kW. Anything smaller generally is scrapped and replaced.
Sincerely,
Rob.
On 13/02/2012 07:46, lemel_man wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys; I'll report back on the outcome.