Kasenite case hardening

Just to add another source to the list you've received so far, what about bone? Good enough for our forebears, and less smelly - just - than kippers

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Yes, especially in the wrong mixture.

Potentially it could be useable - I can think of a couple of easy-to-do things that I think would help - but I'd like a day or two to think about it rather than answering off the top of my head. I wouldn't want to get that wrong ... :(

On this point, what temperature do you case-harden at?

Another thing has occurred to me, is there a reverse hardening process for cast iron, to remove the carbon in the outer layers?

Potassium ferricyanide is not horribly nasty, and is reasonably safe unless unless it comes into contact with acids or it gets hot - there are a couple of other things to avoid, but those are the main two.

It isn't hard to dispose of, small quantities can usually just be flushed down the drain with extra water (depends where you are - some water authorities might object, but if you live in a town or city with a large-scale sewerage system you will in practice do little harm).

Larger quantities are also fairly easy to dispose of, you add excess bleach

- but I don't know the exact details offhand, email me offlist if you need to do this.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I read somewhere that blacksmiths used to use a bucket of hoof-shavings for hardening pickaxes and the like.

Reply to
Bob Unitt

Oh, I forgot the easiest way to dispose of potassium ferricyanide - advertise it on eBay. :)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

And then dump them in a bucket of pea to stop them rusting:)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Mushy or garden? ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

If you are politically correct it's these new things with a fancy sounding French name [ retch, spit, yoddle ] which for commercial reason of saving time collecting and podding are still complete.

Irrespective of the French name [ sniff, spit, dang, spot on] we call them pea pods.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You've been sniffing the Kipper Packets again haven't you John !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I was appalled to find that my colleagues had not replaced the Union Flag with the White Ensign at work last Monday while I was on holiday.

Mark Rand (once an employee of GEC, now owned by the French Government) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

hi im trying for a while now to get a case hardening solution.

i noticed that many ppl are wondering why it is so hard to get kasenite in the UK lol well its simple have you seen what sites sell it in America they explain why.

yes its used for repairing and rearming firearms mainly the firing pins hence the reason why you cant get it. how do the authorities know if your using it to manufacture and rearm disarmed weapons.

we used to use it in the armory years back when i was in the forces for fixing you firring pins but hey there are the few in the uk that spoil it for the rest of us and hence we now have to find alternative methods. i found a good way to case harden is buy a cheep baking tray from wilko's put in your item usually its the bike griper washers i harden fr my bike.

anyway baking tin nonstick get some carbon powder you can buy it dirt cheap fill your baking try half full heat your part cherry hot lay it on the bed of carbon add more carbon to cover the part put it in the oven on full for 30 mins take parts out heat again to cheery hot put them back in, the more you do it the harder it gets do it 3 or 4 times the quench in engine oil let cool in the oil then take it out should be pretty hard try file it.

but hey im not a chemist so using chemicals to speed up the carbon absorption is beyond me but yea i heard that bone meal mixed with carbon works too but stinks rotten. mm ground to a powder bones from animals mmm lol nice

Reply to
fireicer

How do they know you are not turning a new barrel up ? It's more down to H&S on the chemicals involved than a cover up.

If you do a Google for case hardening compound you will still find links.

If you want to make your own there are many old formula's about in old engineering books. Blacksmiths used to heat the metal up to cherry red and dip it in the blood of a virgin.

Not much chance of that nowdays as the last known sighting of a virgin was on the 1926 Cadbury's outing to Blackpool.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Is this American lingo and punctuation ?

Reply to
Emimec

I'd recommend, quite bloody strongly, not to let non-stick baking pans come in contact with anything red-hot - you will get some really nasty compounds formed.

LC50 of approximately 0.05 mg/1 - that's nerve gas toxicity levels.

At least one of the compounds formed, Perfluorisobutylene aka octafluoroisobutylene, is approximately ten times as toxic as phosgene, and is included in Schedule 2 of the Chemical Weapons Convention

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I'm terribly sorry, but your post is completely unreadable. Please post in a newsgroup where the participants speak your native language.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

...and that was only on the outbound journey...... --

Chris Edwards

Oh you were on the same bus then ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

..how else would I know..I was sitting just behind your nurse :}!

--

Chris Edwards

You dirty bugger SHE was the virgin......................

Reply to
John Stevenson

Try looking at MidwayUK :-

[url]
it's branch of the Midway group that sells gun making supplies. So the arguments about "nanny government" and "H&SE" are eroneous. As far as I can make out from my investigations, supply of Kasenit (note no "E" on the end) was ceased by many UK retailers & wholersalers simply because industry stopped using it in quantities sufficient to import it, cost effectively, from the USA.

You will note that MidwayUK don't expect stocks until 12 April. When I enquired of them in September last year, they expected stocks in Feb

2008. I suspect, therefore, that they are awaiting orders before shipping it over. Note, also, that 1lb will cost approx =A320 inc p&p in UK, whereas the same can bought in USA from Midway USA will cost $12.99 inc p&p (circa 1/4 of the price)

Andy

Reply to
houstonceng

Is this the original formula Kasenit ? I see it's now available at=20

Thanks,

--=20 Boo

Reply to
Boo