Kennedy bench hacksaw

Hi guys,

I've just set up a Kennedy power hacksaw which I recently bought via homeworkshop.org.uk. I've just tested it on a bit of 1" bar which it seemed to make short work of, but I got the impression from the groaning as it cut that it was downfeeding a bit rapidly. Further fiddling around reveals that the oil dashpot which controls downfeed doesn't seem to be able to limit the downfeed to a suitably slow rate, suggesting that the light machine oil which I put in it is, in short, too light! So, has anyone used one of these saws before and, if so, what oil did you use? I've got some slideway oil in stock as well, plus some Tellus 27 - I reckon the Tellus would be too thin but the slideway oil might be worth a go? The originally specified oil was Wakefield V - not much chance of finding that for sale now, but does anyone know a modern equivalent?

Any suggestions would be great, as I could do without keep having to empty and refill the dashpot in a bit to see if any of the oils I have to hand are any good....

Cheers

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

When I had one the oil was much thicker than "light machine oil". Probably used SAE 30 that was lying around. If I wanted it to cut quickly I suppose I should have used Castrol R! Never had a problem with it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping