Kit or home made vehicles, Question on?

This is of a pure interest only at present.

The government run a Single Vehicle Approval scheme that any and all kit cars that intend to be operated on the road must meet and be inspected against. One of the classes are amateur built vehicles.

I have not found where to download the reference document for this scheme and have sent an email to the agency seeing if it is available, but!

Has anybody here used it, seen it or have any thoughts on it.

After seeing some of the reported go-karts that are "legal" to put on our roads I am interested in seeing what the requirements are and how they are tested.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Note, there is also a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval scheme that the karts are probably done under.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

As always, Google is your friend:

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi Tony it is after reading that lot I asked the question because I could not find the reference document. I have since noticed there are two documents , and are £30 and £37 each but I should get this confirmed via email.

I believe the documents come on a DVD. I can well understand the need for any vehicle to be to a certain build standard and meet safety requirements but do not know what these are?

I was wondering if any builders here have come across them, perhaps Dave Baker or even if we had any trike or rat builders in the group because their vehicles should have passed inspection.

Cheers

adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

--Thinking of building something unusual? Wanna hear about my gokart mods?! :-)

Reply to
steamer

Yes, from this end. After building one and seeing what you can buy from various sites on eBay.

Pass it on!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Adrian, you can download the March 2004 version of the SVA manual here:

It is an 18Meg download so if you do not have broadbamd send me an e-mail and I will get a copy to you.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

--Wellll the saga begins here:

Took me 2 years to get it right and it's been a 'learning experience' as the saying goes...

Reply to
steamer

Thanks very much

Downloading now

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Excellent!!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thanks Steamer I have bookmarked the page and will browse.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Very interesting doc Keith, thanks!

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Keith;

After reading some of the way through the one provided I realise it is not the one I want as I could never build anything that size, but possibly under the 400Kg mark

I am being very cheeky here but do you know if the Motorcycle one is also around.

And a question from the group that may well kill all ideas.

As I di not have a motorcycle licence would that also stop me, are these quad bikes and large karts using a car or motorcycle licence

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Adrian not cheeky at all. As far as I know if it has 4 wheels and is under 400Kg then you can drive it on a full car license or a full bike license issued before 1981(I think).

The regs are here:

but as always they take some wading through.

Good luck and enjoy what you build. If you want 2 seats and lots of performance (on road) then try a BEC Locost, have a look at the Locostbuilders forum. You won't build one these days for the famous =A3250 quoted in the Haynes book but =A31500 is viable.

I fancy one of the Off-Road karts but have to make do with the Westfield these days

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk