lathe rebuild help

I recently bought a cheap (small) lathe) it's only about 3x12, and possibly a zyto (althoough unbadged)

At the moment, it's got two drill chucks on it - a "foreign" make hand-tightened chuck of about 1/4" capacity mounted on the tailstock, and a jacobs no.34 mounted on the headstock.

no tapers in sight.

The tailstock chuck is threaded onto a (about) 5/8" BSF which is integral to the tailstock slide (ie, the threaded part can't be removed to insert a centre)

and the headstock arbor ends in a male thread to which the chuck is screwed.

main question - I want to make a face plate to fit on the headstock - does anyone have any idea what type of thread a no. 34 jacobs chuck would have?

I'm assuming it's a 45/64 16 - it's too big for a 5/8" 16

where can I get a tap for this size thread?

I don't have any gears for the screw cutting, so I can't cut it from scratch!

Reply to
bigegg

According to the Jacobs site

the thread is either 5/8 or 3/4 x16 I assume Unified form although I didn't notice it mentioned.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The 3 I have are UNF threads

Chris.

Reply to
rack2000

ta very much.

I'll measure the diameter of the threads and go searching for a suitable tap.

Reply to
bigegg

Turns out it is 7/8" whitworth - I decided to buy some nuts, and I'll just weld on a plate

Reply to
bigegg