Looking for some big variacs

Hi all,

A poster from rec.crafts.metalworking suggested I ask this question here.

I'm looking for some big variacs for motor control and science projects. I've got a couple already but they're open-frame and I'm fed up of having to put them in an enclosure and switch off the power to adjust them. Plus I'm planning to build them into a power supply and I'd like another for experiments.

I'm looking for an enclosed, bench variac in a 240 V / 10 A rating or higher. I also might need a 415 V / 10 A variac in the future, but this could be open-frame, and I might consider a faulty three phase unit. Please let me know if you have anything available, or know of any good sources of surplus.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
christopher.tidy

Go to

and search for variable transformer, not variac as that's a specific brand, they have a 240V 10A bench model and 20A 3 phase. Or try contacting Caroll and Meynell directly, they will make any transformer to your needs and I've use them for many years.

You do realise that you can't control the speed of a typical induction motor by varying it's voltage don't you?, that path leads to smoke 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

These would be for control of commutator motors and other electrical experiments. I'm afraid I can't afford to buy new - this is only a hobby project and new would be way out of my price range. So if anyone has a second hand unit for sale, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Variacs come up on eBay from time to time but large ones are rare and expensive - I've been looking out for an unwanted one for a while. If it's just for running motors, a PWM switching circuit (maybe on a step-down transformer) may be better; certainly smaller, cheaper and more robust.

hth Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Seriously large 3-phase variacs tend to be expensive as they are very useful beasties. We snapped one up a while ago when our transformer supplier closed down and dismantled his test rig.

Peter

Peter A Forbes