Looking for some lead pipe

If you have a butchers here:

It would appear that they did once use genuine moleskins, (in the early

1800's) IIRC a mole was responsible to taking the life of one of our kings - can't remember who though. Nowadays we tend to use a Yorkshire fitting on copper, I wonder how they got that name?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Julian wrote --

" Nowadays we tend to use a Yorkshire fitting on copper, I wonder how they got that name?"

Apparently from the company name Yorkshire fittings. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

-------------------------------------------- More info "The Yorkshire Integral Solder Ring (ISR) capillary fitting was developed by Yorkshire Fittings in 1934 and represented a major breakthrough for the industry. The influence of this copper fitting can hardly be overstated, having introduced a completely new concept to the developing plumbing and heating industry and it is no exaggeration to say its contribution to the growth of copper plumbing in the UK and overseas is unparalleled. Such is the strength of the brand that "Yorkshire" has become the generic name for all integral solder ring fittings. " Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Who knows how the solder ring was put in...?

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Maybe they wiped it in with a small moleskin ;-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Or maybe a small trained mole with a propane torch

(1/2 a bottle and still going ;)

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

In article , Julian writes

William III (William of Orange, of William and Mary fame, though Mary died years before him). He died after falling from his horse when it caught its foot in a mole-hole. The Jacobites for many years thereafter (and possibly to this day for all I know) toasted "the little gentleman in velvet".

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I take it you won't need much if it is purely an experiment? That being the case, I could hack off a foot or so & post it, me being in Bristol.

No charge for the pipe but postage at cost would be good.

Contact me off list for a phone number etc should you be interested.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn