Machine Tool Maintenance

Can any of our brothers in the SW recommend a company in the Poole, Bournemouth, Yeovil area who might overhaul my trusty old Elliott Omnimill? The wear is so great that the tapered gibs almost rattle in their housings and the slideways obviously need grinding and, probably, new gibs would need to be made. Considering the price of a new VMC from WARCO for £1450, it begs the question as to whether it's even an economic proposition to consider major repair. I can find a couple of appropriate-sounding companies in the area from my Yellow Pages or the Internet but I'm hoping that I can get a bit of a human steer before I take the plunge and incur inevitable fees for people to come out and see the machine.

Anybody had any experience of this sort of thing? --

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) ..."There must be an easier way...!"

Reply to
christopher

not from personal experiance, but i did talk to someone who had a chipmaster done by someone in Poole. I think the bloke had an ad on chris heapys page. I gather the chipmaster was pretty near perfect good after a grind and a dollop of turcite..

Reply to
richard

G. Lexster Machine Tool Services

01202 620652

They offer slideway grinding and rebuilding. I've no idea what their work is like or waht it costs.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Thanks Charles, and others. I'm told by two different service engineers that I could expect to be charged about £700-£800 for a complete regrind of x and y slideways and gib shimming etc - and that's with the knee removed and delivered to the company who would do the work. Now, what could I rig up with an angle grinder in some sort of jury rig.........