Machining cast iron

Its horrible dirty and I hate it any tips to make life a bit better

Reply to
fastlad

sub contract???? lol

Reply to
Tim Bird

a powerful magnet in a plastic bag is reckoned to catch some swarf.... turn bag inside out to empty...... keeps the machine cleaner if not you!

Reply to
Philip Hurst
"

You could try a magnet in a plastic bag, if you can place it close and safe.

Mike Cole

Reply to
mike Cole

My method which I think works quite well is to place the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner up close to the work. Its held with a magnetic base stand with suitable clamp. It's a little noisier than just the lathe or mill but hey, its a lot cleaner. No dust in the mouth or over the machine. Even the smaller chips get sucked up too.

I do use a vacuum cleaner bought for the workshop ....... I hate to think of the result if you used the domestic one!

Reply to
Alan Marshall

In message , Alan Marshall writes

Somewhat similar to using the dish-washer to clean parts I should think!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Undergo an attitude change...

Apart from the rather aggressive swarf and dust and the wear on tools, cast iron machines better than anything other than leaded free machining steel. So deal with the swarf and abrasiveness as best you can and rejoice in the marvelous surface finish and small chips.

my 0/2d

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

We just cover the slides with a heavy cloth and get it done. If you're not running too fast there is a certain pleasure in watching the way the stuff machines compared to mild steel or brass.

The only problem I ever had was with some 5" Britannia wheels which had unusually hard skins on the castings, but a tipped tool and slow speeds got that done OK.

Peter A Forbes

If you want seriously powerful permanent magnets, you get two free ones with every scrap microwave... They are fitted around the magnetron (? ) anyway the thing that produces the microwaves.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No you want to use.... o Drying foam in a microwave o Doing DIY powdercoating in the oven

Use a longer hose on the vacuum cleaner, move the noise further away. The big aquavacs would work well, they are extremely large and have proper castors on the bottom tub - so you could suck up a small ship worth of metal. Stick the big magnets to the bottom of it, would help a bit.

They aren't very quiet tho, eg, Hoover Aquavac & speed is full-blast-only. You could use the carpet cleaner pump/spray for cooling cutting fluid :-)

-- Dorothy Bradbury

for fans, books & other items
(Direct)

Reply to