Material rack/holder

Hello all, Back in the workshop after a long delay. I need to come up with a solution for storing my supply of bar material, all in 2ft lengths. Need something that will accommodate the full lengths as well as offcuts. Any ideas? Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
Geoff

My neighbour has made a set of drawers that slide into the side of one of his work benches using the rectangular, or close to it, guttering. They're at least 2' long and work well.

Reply to
David Billington

In article , Geoff writes

I had the same issue a few years ago; I already had a set of steel shelving 2' deep under the workbench but the stock was getting jumbled up on it.

I went to a builder's merchant and bought several 8' lengths of square section PVC downpipe, cut it into 2' lengths, and had what (to me) seemed a perfect solution. A label on the top at the front; if the shorter pieces slide towards the back (as they will) it is easy to slide out the relevant tube and tilt it (with hand over end, of course) to get the pieces to the front.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Het is zò dat Geoff formuleerde :

Heavy cardboard tubes from carpets and such found for free on garbage day, cut to size, stuck together like a wine cabinet, screwed to the ceiling etcetera. Best regards, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

I did something like this recently, idea came from a series Harold Hall did in MEW. Photos here:

pleased with the result, but I allowed a bit too much clearance between the shelves, could have fitted a couple more levels in but I'm not going to go back and redo it now.

Reply to
pcb1962

I use weldable plastic wastepipe glued together in pyramid or extended flat layers. If you have 3ft lengths or longer, mount them vertically in a corner of the workshop.

Reply to
steamer

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The suggestions are perfect. I do like yours David as they are exactly like my row of tool drawers, just narrower - didn't think of making one narrower for material. Which issue of MEW? I've got the full set and cannot remember seing this, but cancer treatment is playing havoc with memory right now. Now to find some space at the end of the bench. Regards Geoff

Reply to
GeoffH

Oops My last post should read 'pcb1962' not 'David' Haven't used the NG for years, so forgot to check who posted the reply with Flickr link before posting. Sorry. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

Issue 128, page 12, picture 1. Some other good storage ideas in that article too, though I doubt many of us need to store quite as many tools as HH does!

Reply to
pcb1962