2014 Aluminium

I'm after a short (5") length of round Aluminium 2014 T6 in 3 1/4" diameter. 7075 would also do but I don't really want to move to a less
highly specified grade. Anybody have any sensible economic sources?
Thanks
Charles

Not economic but Richard Austin,Aalco and Arenastock will all supply pieces. One I`ve never used but know people that do is Adams Aluminium.

I'll check whats on the rack and email you.
John S.
Charles P wrote:

You making rockets now?
I have no idea how economic these chaps would be, but I hear that they both stock 2014 and welcome small orders - mebbe worth a call?
Ravenace Metals Ltd 0121-555-6662
-- Peter Fairbrother

A friend uses HE15 in that sort of size from time to time. I could ask if he has any offcuts left over or a bar such a length could be sawn from.
--
Dave Baker

My bad. It's HE30 he uses which is 6082 in colonial. If that's any use let me know.
--
Dave Baker

Dave
Thanks for looking but it's the significantly stronger alloy that I'm after. The previous part (in LM25TF which although cast has similar strength and hardness to 6082) has shown signs of failure so a little re- engineering and a better material is called for - sort of belt and braces.
Of the others Metalfast have some in stock but in Swindon, I'm waiting for a response from Ravenace. I've also been pointed towards http://www.johnkeatleymetals.com /
Thanks
Charles
<...>

You couldalso try http://www.doremetals.co.uk /
I have bought from them in the past and they will certainly cut to length, but I don't know about posting. Can't hurt to ask.
Richard

oops, didn't read 2014, won't have that.
John S.
I get nearly all my material from the local scrappy. A nice piece of 2014 T6 (End stamped) is on the shelf but it is 70mm O.D. by 460mm long.
A scrappy is worth a try particularly as you get around the country a bit.
Richard
On 12/02/2011 09:46, Charles P wrote:

Richard

Also try here.
http://www.metalfast.co.uk/offcuts%20and%20bar%20ends.htm
--
Dave Baker

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking for a "steal", just avoid hefty surcharges for a small piece.
It's true that I do get around a bit (Leeds, manchester, Edinburgh over the next couple of weeks) but turning up at a scrap yard in a suit and tie does tend to push the price into the retail category.
I'll work through them
Charles

Tell them you work for the Environment Agency :)
On 14/02/2011 08:09, Pete wrote:

While you are at it have a Geiger counter with you and take the "samples" you need back to the lab for further analysis.

Try LA Metals in Smethwick, no small order charge foer cash. Peter