Milling/drilling on a lathe

Hi all, I am about to start on a part on my lathe, and I need to drill a series of holes round the the outside of it. Normally I would use a dividing head on a mill, but I do not have access to one for the moment so I need to improvise something.

Getting the lathe chuck in the right place isn't going to be to hard, but I need to find a way to drill the holes. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a drill that could be held in the tool post for example or a better solution?

The holes at worst are going to be 8mm by 15mm deep into aluminimum, so nothing to hard.

Thanks

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Stephen,

I have made a holder that take a standard cylindrical air drill and fits on the Dixon toolpost of my lathe - works a treat as I can point it to a face ie parallel to the lathe axis, or a periphery ie 90 degrees to the lathe axis. Even has a screw to bear on the button to keep the drill running ! Crude but very effective.

AWEM

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I use an old-pattern B&D drill in its '70s cradle for jobs like this. There is still plenty of this old stuff about.

Another approach would be to use the headstock assembly from a Unimat.

Reply to
Tim Christian

I know what you mean. I made a clamp out of 10mm steel plate that mounts in the toolpost - there is a slotted hole to clamp the neck of a drill which locates fairly accurately (square) against the face of the plate.

Its also ideal for cutting slots in tubes (tube mounted in the chuck) with a milling bit mounted in the drill.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Randall

Just looking around the web and found this,

Humm, never thought of that, thats a good idea!

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Along those lines a suppose I could buy a cheap small pillar drill and butcher it for parts, one of the cheap £30 ones they sell in DIY shops....

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Stephen

I am sure what you found is interesting, its just that the link does not seem to work for me.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Strange, worked when I posted the link.....

The shear number of hits he must have got from people read my post must have crashed his server, or maybe not ;-)

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

didnt work for me either

Reply to
Chris R

Sounds good.

Twenty or thirty years ago, when one drill was expected to do everything from drill to saw and back, there were all sorts of cradles and jigs available. I have adapted these in the past, but only the original drills will fit and these are getting a bit past it now!

Reply to
Tim Christian

This is a followup to a post I made some time ago, I have now found the perfect solution, shame it costs so much :-)

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen