Mixer tap thread/adapters

During the current kitchen refit, we bought a new sink on ebay and picked it up from Milton Keynes this morning. It didn't have a tap with it, and had a single hole for a mixer tap.

We had looked at the DIY shops and thought they were a bit pricey, so we resolved to have another look on ebay when we got back home.

No1 + No2 sons were going to a Car Boot sale at Lidlington, so we asked them to look out for anything matching the description, on the basis that it would be useful to pick one up cheaper than usual as long as it was a new one and a branded make.

As we returned home, we noticed a Car boot sale sign just on the southern outskirts of Rushden, and as we had half an hour free, we popped in. 30p entrance fee, and row on row of tat, much as per usual.

One guy had a load of shower taps and stuff like that, imitation gold finish, specially made for Essex man....

As we walked past, Rita stopped and had a rummage in one of the boxes which had some mixer taps in, but they were dual hole fixing, not single hole. Then, she pulled out a satin chrome single lever single hole mixer tap, and it was new with the shop ticket still on it with bar code etc. There were two in there, so I asked the guy as offish as I could what he wanted for them, and when he said £5 each, I couldn't snatch his hand off quick enough!

We looked around the rest of the stuff but that was our only bargain of the day. Bristan is the name on the taps, and their website has the two different models on there at £65.00 and £105.00 srp each, so not a bad day :-))

There's a couple of marks on them, but nothing serious that wouldn't clean off, and they are perfect. Only thing missing is the two adapters that convert from the (10mm?) thread in the base of the taps to 15mm copper tube.

We tried B&Q to see if they had anything, but their guys said that they never kept these separately. Bristan have a website and spares are available, but I wondered if anyone klnows positively of any vendors of such things that we could contact tomorrow...

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Martin Builders Merchants in Sudbury sell the range. tel 01787 373617

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I went through this srt of thing a few years ago on a customer's boat, can't remember the exact outcome but I'm pretty sure a *proper* plumbers' merchant (*not* B&Q ) should be able to sort you out.

You'll probably want a couple of tails of 10mm tube with threaded ends, & 15/10mm connectors unless the tails come with the adapters ready fitted.

HTH

Tim

Tim Leech

I had some Bristan taps (without the fittings) and after contacting the Bristan sales department they sent them to me free of charge.

They are also available from most plumbers merchants or builders merchants (e.g. Jewson, Travis Perkins) etc.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

You want a local plumbers merchant, or you could turn a couple out of copper but strip the mixer down before soldering.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Contacted Plumb Center this morning, they have a standard flexible tail assembly, £8.13 a pair plus VAT. Part No C/54/114 if anyone else needs it.

Found 2 sets at Dunstable so collected them on the way in.

Job done!

Peter

Prepair Ltd