ML7 Pulley Sleeve Gear

Made an interesting discovery when I pulled apart the old spindle on my ML7 tonight. Unless I'm mistaken (always possible with me..) it appears that the sleeve has been fitted 180 degrees out of position as the oil ingress hole is exactly opposite the nipple rather than being in line with it. Picture here:

- Possibly 40 years with no oil getting through:)

I'm tempted to just drill another hole through in line with the nipple unless anyone knows a reason why I shouldn't.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Never looked at one, but it may just have an external groove machined on the outside to ensure oil gets in even if it slips.

I'd do it that way ;-)

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

ISTR the pulley is pressed on to the sleeve gear but not pinned - the idea being to save various gear teeth stripping in a jam-up. So the likelihood is there's been a momentary jam/seizure at some point in the last 40 years and the pulley has moved round.

-Neil F.

Reply to
neil f