Moore and wright protractor repair

Managed to get myself a good cond bevel protractor ,on recieveing it i have realised that the bevel lock does not function rendering the instrument pretty useless ,anyone have any experience of seperating one of these tools and repairing ???Dont want to force anything .......

Reply to
Chillybilly

recieveing it i

Which model is it? Is it a proper bevel protractor or a protractor from a combination set? Ned Ludd

Reply to
ned ludd

recieveing it i

Hi Ned , Think its a propper one ,blade about a foot long and a propper register edge for it to locate on on the bevel. The numbers on the protractor are ,L115/61 and No994 .No room in box for any other bits it seems ,so fair to say its a good un .. Cheers Will

Reply to
Chillybilly

,on recieveing it i

Hi Will, If it is a 994 I know which one it is, I will go and look at mine in the morning and inspect. I don't recall anything special about the clamp arrangement but I could be wrong. Ned Ludd

Reply to
the wizard

Hi William, Had a look at mine this morning, The large central knurled knob bears on a washer, which in turn clamps the protractor. I can only think that your washer is rusted, thus preventing the clamping action. The special washer is a tight fit on the central shaft, so any corrosion would prevent it from moving. Rather than stripping it apart, perhaps a gentle tap with a brass tube, as a drift, might push the washer closer, so the knob has more chance of locking the adustment. Hope this works and makes sense. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Stripped it yesterday ,using a piece of ground down gun rail brass (from the old ROF days).This lifted the bezzle clear nicely .Looks like the lock mechanism has been repaired before and now has gone too far ......rtnd to seller and the hunt starts again .Ho HUM !!Thanks for the help Will

Reply to
Chillybilly